*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 28, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
Note the redemption values may have changed since publication.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® allows new cardmembers to Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*.
Is this a good deal?
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
First checked bag free on domestic itineraries & preferred boarding
Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
See additional details for Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
This Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® offer is good compared with other travel cards. It come with an annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months*.
The earning on this card isn’t decent. You only Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases*. But if you fly as a family, you’ll get free checked bags for up to four passengers. That would more than offset the annual fee.
The card offers…
- A free first checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights for you and up to four companions on your reservation (you don’t have to buy your ticket with your AA card).
- Foreign transaction fee: 0%.
- Preferred boarding (even when flying on basic economy fares)
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases*.
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after spending $20,000 or more on the card during a card membership year.
- Receive a 25% discount on eligible in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights.
Are you eligible for the bonus?
You’re not eligible for the bonus if you have opened or closed the same Citi brand card in the last 24 months. That means if you opened or closed any Citi AAdvantage® card, for example, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®, within the last 24 months, you won’t be eligible for the bonus.
There is one silver lining, though. Citi considers personal and business cards separately. So a previous CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®* bonus doesn’t count against you for the personal card and vice versa.
What can you do with the miles?
American AAdvantage® is far from being the valuable frequent flyer program it once was.
Awards at the MileSAAver level are a lot harder to come by than they used to be. There’s very little award space to Hawaii at the lowest MileSAAver prices.
But if you’re flexible and want to travel to Latin America, Asia or just take short flights in the U.S., you can still find some good value with AAdvantage® miles. AAdvantage® is also flexible about holds and date changes.
You can hold awards up to five days before you ticket them, making it easier to piece together trips. And you can change the date of AAdvantage® awards for free as long as you booked your ticket 21 days or more before the original departure date.
Here’s the award chart for flights departing the U.S. All prices are one-way, so round trips are double the price.
And here are some good values that you can book with the miles from this bonus.
Fly up to 8 short flights for 7,500 AAdvantage® miles* each
American reduced the number of miles required for flights of 500 miles or less in the continental U.S. and Canada from 12,500 to 7,500 miles one way. That makes it competitive against British Airways Avios on shorter routes, although keep in mind that 7,500 Avios cover up to 1,150 miles of flying distance.
So you can fly from Philadelphia to Charlotte, which is 449 miles away, for only 7,500 AA miles.
If you’re flexible on travel dates, there are eight regions with MileSAAver Off-Peak Dates that let you save on miles for economy class. Here are the regions and prices for one-way flights (Note: These dates may have changed since this article was published):
- Hawaii: 20,000 miles
- To Hawaii: Dec. 29 – March 12, Aug. 11 – Nov. 18, Nov. 24 – Dec. 10
- From Hawaii: 20,000 miles, Jan. 7 – March 19, Aug. 18 – Nov. 27, Dec. 3 – Dec. 25
- The Caribbean, Mexico and Central America: 12,500 miles, Sept. 7 – Nov. 14, April 27 – May 20
- Europe: 22,500 miles, Jan. 10 – March 14, Nov. 1 – Dec. 14
- Asia Region 1 (Japan): 32,500 miles
- To Japan: Jan. 1 – April 30, July 1 – Nov. 30
- From Japan: Jan. 16 – April 19, May 2 – 31, Sept. 1 – Dec. 31
- Asia Region 1 (Korea): 32,500 miles,
- To Korea: Jan. 1 – April 30, July 1 – Nov. 30
- From Korea: Jan. 16 – May 31, Sept. 1 – Dec. 31
- Asia Region 2 (China & Hong Kong): 32,500 miles,
- To China/Hong Kong: Jan. 1 – April 30, July 1 – Sept. 30, Oct.11 – Nov. 30
- From China/Hong Kong: Feb. 1 – May 31, Sept. 1 – 19, Oct. 2 – Dec. 31
- South America 1: 17,500 miles, Jan. 16 – June 14, Sept. 7 – Nov. 14
Take up to three flights to South America
South America Zone 1 includes Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and the Brazilian city of Manaus — the gateway to the Amazon.
You can fly there for 20,000 AAdvantage® miles* (17,500 miles on the off-peak dates) in economy and 30,000 miles in business, which is a true bargain if you are traveling from the U.S. Northeast. Thirty-thousand miles will buy you a lie-flat seat on LATAM between New York and Lima or Miami and Manaus.
You can fly from New York to Manaus via Miami for just 17,500 miles.
Up to 8 flights within Brazil
AA domestic redemption levels in some countries are simply outstanding. It costs only 7,500 miles to fly anywhere within Brazil. So you could fly to Manaus for 17,500 miles from Jan. 16 to June 14 or from Sept. 7 to Nov. 14, and explore the country on American partner LATAM for 7,500 miles per flight.
You can fly anywhere in Peru on LATAM for 6,000 miles. So, you can fly between Lima and Cusco, Iquitos, Juliaca, etc., although Avios might be a better value in Peru (4,500 miles).
Summing it up
If you have some international trips ahead and are flexible and creative, the bonus can get you up to several flights. But it will take time to find the right combination of dates and points you’ll need to get the flights you want with the bonus points you have.