*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on product links. For more information, please see our Advertiser Disclosure
What name do you think of when looking for a one-stop sporting shop? Chances are that Sports Authority would be one store high on your list. This company has been an industry leader for some time now, selling brand name sports clothing and equipment with reasonable prices and their wide variety of sporting categories. So, for all you sports fans out there, we wondered what kind of a deal Sports Authority would offer to both finance your purchase and save you some money. We looked into two options available through Sports Authority to breakdown their features.
The Sports Authority Credit Card:
- 24.99 % APR
- No annual fee
- Convenient minimum monthly payments (not under $25)
- Special discounts throughout the year
- Advanced notice of special product offerings & events
- Quick credit processing
The Sports Authority Credit Card is issued by Comenity Bank, who also issues many other retailer cards. The Sports Authority Credit Card allows you to pay your bill online or in-stores, however, you are not able to use this card on the Sports Authority website. It is an in-store only card and there’s no rewards system in place for money spent in-store. The only benefit this card provides for customers is the occasional discount you can receive with your statement, and the advance notice of special product offerings. Overall, I don’t see much use for this card, unless you shop at Sports Authority at least once a month, especially with a 24.99 % APR and no real savings. Opening a store card will affect your credit score, so it’s best to open lines of credit that will truly reward you. You may apply here or in-store.
Let’s take a look at a second option available at Sports Authority.
The Sports Authority League- A member rewards program
- No membership fee
- Earn 1 point for every dollar spent during 3 month earning periods
- Earn points at Sports Authority® or S.A. Elite Sports Authority® stores
- Get 5% back in Reward bucks (coupons for discounts)
- Rewards CAN be combined with other offers
The Sports Authority League is a membership program where you earn rewards for purchases. This card cannot be used to pay for a purchase, however, if you are a frequent shopper at Sports Authority, it’s a great option to take advantage of the savings. The rewards from this card come in the form of coupons for discounts. One point is accrued for every dollar spent and at the end of a 3 month earning period your points add up to rewards. Rewards can be used at any Sports Authority store and S.A. Elite Stores, but here's the down side: they cannot be used online, just like the credit card. What we do like about these rewards, though, is that they are transferable; you can hand them over to a friend or family member.
How do you receive these rewards, you might wonder? After you become a member, you can sign up for an online account to view and print your coupons. If you prefer, Sports Authority will also email or send them by postal service. Rewards do expire 60 days after the date of issue, which is something to consider as two months is not a long time. Signing up for membership is simple; speak to a store clerk or apply here.
Current Earning Periods for Points:
- Period 1: January 1 through March 31
- Period 2: April 1 through June 30
- Period 3: July 1 through September 30
- Period 4: October 1 through December 31
Use a Rewards Card Along With Your Sports Authority League Membership
Let’s say you signed up for of the Sports Authority League membership. You plan to earn some points and make use of your rewards to discount future purchases. To finance a Sports Authority® purchase and amp up your rewards potential, we suggest that you look into a rewards credit card like the ones listed below. They have a lower APR than the Sports Authority credit card and a generous rewards system.
- Chase Freedom®- Earn up to 5% in rotating spending categories that changes every three months, and earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. *See terms and conditions.
- Discover it® Card- Earn up to 5% cash back in specific spending categories that change every quarter, and earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. *See terms and conditions.
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card- Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 you spend, and redeem points for merchandise, travel rewards, gift cards, cash, and more. *See terms and conditions.
*Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
*The content in this article is accurate at the publishing date, and may be subject to changes per the card issuer.