*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on product links. For more information, please see our Advertiser Disclosure
MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard® Review
Published March 24th, 2015
Spring has arrived, which means the weather will be getting warmer and summer is right around the corner. It also means that in just a few weeks one of America’s favorite pastimes will again entertain us over the next several months; baseball season. Major League Baseball (MLB) has grown from its humble beginnings in the late 19th century into a cornerstone of American culture in the present day.
Professional baseball is broadcast live on television, radio and over the internet. MLB set the record for the highest season attendance of any sports league in the world with close to 74 million spectators in 2013. If you are one of those avid fans, then there is an offer from Bank of America that can earn you cash back rewards for all your purchases that also lets you show the world who's your favorite team.
MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard® Credit Card
With the MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard® cardholders are allowed to choose which of the 30 teams to display on their new credit card. However, it’s important to consider the highlights and features of this card before you sign up for an offer that leaves you striking out. Here are the highlights of the credit card:
- Online-exclusive $100 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 3% cash back on gas, and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 in combined purchases each quarter.
- Earn 1% cash back on other purchases
- No expiration on earned rewards and no rotating categories
- Redeem cash back into a Bank of America® checking or savings account, or as a statement credit
- No annual fee
At first glance it would appear that this credit card may earn rewards that can be redeemed for MLB ticket purchases or merchandise, or that you could potentially earn bonus points for official MLB purchases. However, this rewards card is not similar to the rewards program of the NFL Extra Points Credit Card. After looking closer at the full terms and conditions of the rewards program, cash back rewards can only be redeemed as a statement credit or be redeemed directly into your Bank of America® checking or savings account. So it appears the main appeal of this card is strictly for fans to customize their rewards card with their favorite teams logo. Here's what the rates and fees look like:
Rates and Fees
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 billing cycles
- 0% intro APR for 12 billing cycles on balance transfers made within 60 days of opening the account
- On-going APR of 13.49%-23.49% variable
- 3% balance transfer fee
The intro APR for 12 billing cycles is a rather decent offer and the on-going variable APR of 13.49%-23.49% is pretty competitive. Let’s see how it compares to a few other Bank of America credit card offers.
Additional Bank of America Credit Card Offers
BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card - This card is great for the frequent traveler! Get 0% APR for 12 billing cycles on purchases, then 15.49% - 23.49% variable APR. There's no annual fee and the card comes equipped with travel-friendly chip and PIN technology. Cardholders can earn a flat 1.5 points per $1 spent on the card, which is about 50% more than most rewards programs, but there are no bonus reward categories. Rewards can be redeemed for all sorts of travel options such as for flights, cruises, car rentals, and even baggage fees.
BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card - This is a great card for those looking to earn rewards for everyday purchases, or to make a high-dollar purchase(s) free of interest charges, or for those interested in a balance transfer. Cardholders can get 0% APR for 12 billing cycles on purchases and qualifying balance transfers, then 13.49% - 23.49% variable APR. Earn 2% cash back at grocery stores/wholesale clubs and 3% cash back on gas for the first $2,500 in combined quarterly purchases. Cardholders can earn 1% cash back on other purchases.
BankAmericard® Credit Card - This card is very straight-forward; it does not come with a rewards program, but is perfect for those interested in a balance transfer. Cardholders can get 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 billing cycles, then 11.49% - 21.49% variable APR. Cardholders pay no annual fee and get added security with the chip-embedded card.
The BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit card is practically the same credit card offer as the MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard®; the biggest differences are that one is a Visa Signature card, so it comes with many more benefits and features, and one allows cardholders to customize the card art with their favorite baseball team logo.
The Bottom Line
Overall, the MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard® is a relatively decent offer. There are some credit cards available with lower on-going interest rates, but that will never be a concern if you pay your balance in full every month.
Bank of America customers always receive the $0 Liability Guarantee, which helps protect consumers from fraudulent credit card transactions. The MLB™ BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard® also includes:
- ShopSafe- Adds an extra layer of protection when shopping online.
- Overdraft Protection- An optional service that prevents declined purchases, returned checks or other overdrafts when you link your eligible Bank of America checking account to your credit card.
- Paperless- Opting to go paperless provides consumers with the ability to cut back on waste and help preserve the environment.
* Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by Bank of America. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Bank of America. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.
*The content in this article is accurate at the publishing date, and may be subject to changes per the card issuer.