*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 09, 2017, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
*The below offers and promotions may have since changed, expired, or are no longer available.
I am a big fan of Chase credit cards because they tend to offer exceptional customer service, robust rewards programs and uniquely valuable benefits and features. Now for a limited time, those who sign up for the United MileagePlus® Explorer Card can earn 50,000 bonus points.
The card is tied to United Airlines, so it is appropriate for those who travel with that particular carrier or who want to earn points toward future travel served by United Airlines. Act fast, though, because the offer is set to expire on June 2nd, 2015.
Limited Time Offer Details
- To be eligible for 50,000 bonus miles, just spend a minimum of $3,000 within the first three months of opening your account.
- You can also earn an additional 5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user to your account and make at least one purchase with the card within the same three months of card membership.
To put this into perspective, if cardholders were able to earn all possible bonus miles, 55,000 bonus miles would come out to be about $550 in value, depending on how you choose to use those miles. That’s not so bad considering many of my roundtrip flights are about $500.
No one should open up a new line of credit simply for the sign-on bonus –so let’s take a look at more reasons why we like the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
Additional Card Features
- Earn double miles for each $1 spent on tickets purchased from United
- Earn 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Make at least $25,000 in net purchases on your card each year, and be eligible to receive an additional 10,000 bonus miles annually.
- Miles don't expire as long as your account is in good standing and there is no limit on the number of miles you can earn.
- Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on any United-operated flight when they redeem miles at the MileagePlus Standard Award level.
- No limitations, restrictions, or blackout dates on available* seats if you provide your MileagePlus number before starting the award booking process.
*Please be aware that the operative word when it comes to booking flights is “available.” As with other credit card rewards programs tied to a particular airline, your ability to reserve the flight you want is subject to availability. With that in mind, it always pays to plan ahead and make your reservations early.
This card also comes with great travel benefits that will appeal to any frequent traveler. The primary card member and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. Cardholders will also receive two, one-time-use United Club passes each year, which grants access to a United Club airport lounge where you can enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and free Wi-Fi. See what else this card has to offer as a Visa Signature credit card.
Rates and Fees
- APR for purchases and balance transfers is 16.24-23.24% variable
- Cash advance APR is 19.24%
- Annual fee is waived the first year, then$95 each year after
- Balance transfer fee of $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash advance fee of$10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- No foreign transaction fees
*Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed on this page are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
*The content in this article is accurate at the publishing date, and may be subject to changes per the card issuer.