*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Sep 17, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
Consumers who frequently shop at Victoria’s Secret and PINK stores can see benefit from the Victoria's Secret Angel Card. This is a store card, so you can only use it at Victoria’s Secret and their family of stores, including PINK and Bath & Body Works — though the latter won’t earn you any rewards.
At a $0 annual fee, this card won’t cost you anything to use it on lingerie, apparel, perfume and other eligible purchases, as long as you pay your bill on time and in full each month. Plus, you can benefit from perks like free shipping on purchases that include bras and a birthday gift.
In this review, we’ll break down who should consider applying for the Victoria's Secret Angel Card, the rewards associated with a card, and alternative cards for lingerie shopping.
Who the Victoria's Secret Angel Card is best for
If you frequently shop at Victoria’s Secret or PINK for yourself or someone else and always pay your bill on time, the Victoria's Secret Angel Card can provide you with exclusive cardmember-only perks and rewards. This card isn’t ideal for people who prefer to buy bras, undergarments and other goods at big box or department stores, since this card can only be used at Victoria’s Secret, PINK, and Bath & Body Works. Also, if you often carry a balance on your card, this isn’t the best option — the ongoing APR is high at 27.24% variable.
Angel tiers and perks
There are three Angel tiers that provide enhanced perks for cardholders, depending on your tier status.
Here are the three Angel tiers and the benefits associated with each:
|Angel||None||Earn 3 points per dollar on bra purchases and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases, birthday gift, free standard shipping on purchases that include bras (terms apply)|
|Angel VIP||Earn 500 points within a rolling 12-month period||Angel perks, plus insider access and invitations to events throughout the year|
|Angel Forever||Earn 1,000 points within a rolling 12-month period||Angel and Angel VIP perks, plus a thank you gift every year|
Once you reach Angel VIP tier, you remain at that level even if you earn less than 500 points the next program year. However, if you reach the Angel Forever tier, you need to maintain earning 1,000 points each program year (February 1st through January 31st) to keep your tier status — otherwise you will be downgraded to the Angel VIP tier.
Since the Victoria's Secret Angel Card is a store card, it can only be used at Victoria’s Secret, PINK and Bath & Body Works locations. However, purchases at Bath & Body Works do not earn points. Cardholders earn 3 points per dollar on bra purchases and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases at Victoria’s Secret and PINK.
Once you reach a certain amount of points depending on your Angel status, you’ll receive an Angel Reward, redeemable at Victoria’s Secret and PINK stores. There are three Angel tiers, and at the highest tier you’ll earn Angel Rewards faster.
Here are the three Angel tiers and the Angel Rewards you’ll receive for each:
- Angel: Earn a $10 Angel Reward with every 250 points
- Angel VIP: Earn a $10 Angel Reward with every 250 points
- Angel Forever: Earn a $15 Angel Reward with every 250 points
In addition to rewards, there’s a new cardmember offer: Receive $15 off your next purchase and a Little Book of Exclusive Perks (up to $65 in savings).
Where the Victoria's Secret Angel Card stands out among store cards
The Victoria's Secret Angel Card allows you to prequalify for the card online. To check if you prequalify, add an item to your cart and click checkout. (Note: You don’t have to complete the purchase to check if you prequalify for a card). Then, enter your name, address and phone number and continue to the payments page. If you’re pre-approved, you’ll see a pop-up stating such and your credit limit. From there, you can choose whether to apply for a card or not.
Prequalification is a helpful feature that allows you to check if you may be approved for a card with a soft credit pull. This does not harm your credit score. Just beware that if you choose to apply for the card, a hard credit pull will be performed.
Where the Victoria's Secret Angel Card falls short among store cards
The Victoria's Secret Angel Card has a high APR setback, a typical characteristic of store cards, with a 27.24% variable APR. This APR can become a real issue if you’re someone who carries a balance month to month. Therefore, we strongly recommend only charging purchases you can afford to pay off in full by your statement due date. Don’t let the prospect of Angel Rewards lead you to overspend and rack up high interest charges.
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is a standout flat-rate cashback card that allows cardholders to earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases. That rate is hard to find when compared to other cards that may only offer 1% cash back on everyday purchases, especially considering this card has a $0* annual fee.
Earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
15.74% - 25.74%* (Variable)
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time
- 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.74% - 25.74% based on your creditworthiness.*
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
If you don’t frequent Victoria’s Secret or PINK for your lingerie, apparel and perfume purchases, a cashback cards with rotating 5% cashback categories may be a better option. Categories can include department stores or online shopping sites like Amazon.com for one quarter of the year, allowing you to earn a great deal of cash back. Keep in mind, while these cards can provide you a high 5% cashback rate on eligible purchases, you need to remember to activate the bonus categories each quarter. Plus, the 5% cashback rate often has a quarterly maximum of $1,500 of spending before the cashback rate drops to 1%.
Here are two of our favorite rotating 5% cashback cards:
Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
Any amount, any time. Cash back rewards never expire*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Cash Back
Earn a $150 Bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
17.24% - 25.99% Variable
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – it’s automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit JourneySM
See additional details for Chase Freedom®
If you’re looking for a way to enjoy special perks like birthday rewards and free shipping on select purchases, a Victoria's Secret Angel Card can be a good option — especially if you reach Angel VIP or Angel Forever status. But, overall, the rewards provided by this card are just -OK. The main draw is the triple points you earn on bra purchases, which is seemingly unmatched by a general-purpose card. But, if you plan on using this card for non-bra transactions, you can do better with the alternative cashback cards mentioned above.