*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Apr 10, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Sheetz describes their stores as a “kicked-up convenience store [that’s] a mecca for people on the go.” Open 24/7 year-round, customers can go to their local Sheetz anytime to gas up at low prices and/or grab a bite to eat and choose from a selection of high-quality, made-to-order foods and an espresso bar.
Sheetz provides a credit card for frequent customers who want to save on gas and earn rewards on in-store purchases — the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card. With a $0 annual fee and Sheetz-specific perks, loyal Sheetz customers may want to consider opening this card.
Note: Sheetz stores are only located in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina.
We’ll review the benefits and potential setbacks of the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card, and provide alternative cards for gas purchases.
What we like about the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card
5 cents off per gallon at any Sheetz location. When you gas up at Sheetz, you instantly receive 5 cents off per gallon with your Sheetz Visa® Credit Card. And, if you’re a part of the MySheetz Card® loyalty program, you can increase that to 8 cents off per gallon.
5 points per dollar spent in-store at Sheetz locations. When you make purchases inside Sheetz locations, such as coffee and sandwiches, you earn a high 5 points per dollar with the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card.
If you don’t qualify for the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card, you may qualify for the Sheetz Personal Credit Card. The Sheetz Personal Credit Card is a store card, meaning it can only be used at Sheetz locations. The ability to qualify for this store card is helpful for applicants who may not meet the approval requirements of the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card. Plus, the Sheetz Personal Credit Card still offers 5 cents off per gallon at any Sheetz location and earns 5 points per $1 on Sheetz in-store purchases (excluding Sheetz fuel and car wash purchases).
What we don’t like about the Sheetz Visa® Credit Card
20.99%-26.99% variable APR. The Sheetz Visa® Credit Card comes with a high 20.99%-26.99% variable APR. This is an above average range compared to other cards, and if you receive the Sheetz Personal Credit Card, your APR is even higher at 27.99% variable. Since the APRs are so steep, don’t carry a balance from month-to-month to avoid added interest charges.
Low rewards for everyday purchases. The rewards rate on all purchases outside Sheetz locations is subpar at 1 point per dollar spent. As a result, this card isn’t the best choice for everyday spending. Consider flat-rate cashback and rewards cards that can earn you up to 2.5% cash back on all purchases.
3% foreign transaction fee. If you travel outside the U.S., you’ll incur a 3% foreign transaction fee on all purchases. For example, spending $500 in Italy will cost you a $15 fee. Consider cards with no foreign transaction fees when traveling.
Rewards: 5 points per $1 on Sheetz in-store purchases, 1 point per $1 on all other qualifying purchases.
Exclusions: Some purchases made with your card don’t earn rewards, such as Sheetz fuel and car wash purchases, and a purchase from any merchant (other than Sheetz) whose merchant category code is classified as “service stations” or “automated fuel dispensers.”
Points can be redeemed in several ways:
- Gift cards/certificates
- Travel (airline, hotel, and car rentals)
- Cash back as a statement credit, a deposit to any checking or savings account, or as a check sent by mail
- Other goods and services
Alternative gas rewards cards
Revised in Jan. 2019, the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card offers a rewards program where you earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, 2% cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases, 1% cash back on every purchase Each month you can select the 3% choice category from one of six categories: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings. This flexibility allows you to select gas stations as your spending category and reap the rewards.
$250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.*
6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
1% back on other purchases*
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more). 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Don't wait for your Card in the mail. Start earning cash back before your card even arrives, if eligible for Instant Card Number.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 23.99%
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a great choice for both grocery and gas purchases. Cardholders earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) and 3% at U.S. gas stations.
Keep in mind, there’s a $95 annual fee, but if you spend enough each year, you can recoup the fee in rewards.
4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases
0% fee for transactions while traveling abroad
$0 annual fee
- Discover one of Citi's best cash back rewards cards designed exclusively for Costco members
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- 2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership and enjoy no foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Receive an annual credit card reward certificate, which is redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco warehouses, including Puerto Rico
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.24%. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
See additional details for Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
If you’re a Costco member, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi can earn you a great cashback rate on gas spending: 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases. While this card has a $0 annual fee, keep in mind it also requires a Costco membership, which starts at $60.
The Sheetz Visa® Credit Card is a decent choice for people who want to save on gas and live in one of the six states with Sheetz gas stations (Pa., Md., Va., W.Va., Ohio, N.C.). If you don’t live in one of these states or simply don’t gas up or shop in-store at Sheetz, there’s little benefit of having this card. Consider alternative gas, cashback, and rewards cards.