*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 30, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Quick Take: As data breaches and identity theft become more common, these credit cards have your back when it comes to keeping your money, credit and personal information safe.
If you’ve grown weary of hearing about yet another data breach, take heart.
Credit cards are still the safest way to pay.
Cash you can lose and it’s gone for good.
If a cyber-thief drains money from your bank account through a stolen debit card, it’s difficult to get it back. If you take more than two business days to report debit card fraud you could lose $500. If you take more than 60 days, your entire account is at risk.
If your credit card is stolen or lost, simply call the company and it will mail a replacement. (Some issuers like Discover will even overnight a new card for free).
6 ways your credit card keeps you safe
Get peace of mind when you pay with a credit card. Here’s how credit cards lock down your account and personal information.
1. $0 fraud liability: It’s not just a perk, it’s the law. The Fair Credit Billing Act limits your liability to $50 for any unauthorized use of a credit card. Even better, most major credit card issuers have $0 fraud liability, which reduces your exposure to zero. That means you aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges on your account.
2. Fraud monitoring: Many card issuers, including Discover, monitor every purchase and will notify cardholders about any activity that appears suspicious.
3. Account freezing: Discover is one of several issuers that offer on/off type switches for your card. This essentially locks your card down and prevents a thief from making purchases with a lost or stolen card. Misplaced your card? Discover allows you to freeze your account in seconds to prevent new purchases with an on/off switch available on both the mobile app and website.
4. EMV chips: These chips are embedded in most major credit cards. This makes it harder for thieves to make counterfeit cards and protects against magnetic stripe information theft.
5. Credit score monitoring: Some major credit card issuers help cardholders monitor their credit for free. Discover will send cardholders an alert if they find your Social Security number on any of thousands of dark web sites. Discover cardholders can also activate free alerts and get notified if a new credit card, mortgage, car loan or other account shows up on your credit report.
6. Security code: This is the three or four-digit code on the back of your card, which is required to complete transactions online or over the phone.
CompareCards evaluated the types of security and safety features that credit card issuers offer and also when the companies began offering them to identify our top picks. Discover earns top marks in the area of consumer privacy and security. The company led the way offering safety features for free to its users and the public in recent years. The ability to check one’s credit score can be an early warning system for people to notice if something is amiss.
- In 2013, Discover became the first major credit card issuer to provide FICO® Scores for free to cardmembers on their monthly statements and online.
- In 2016, Discover was the first credit card issuer to offer FICO credit scores for free to everyone, not just cardholders.
- In June 2017, Discover became the first major credit card company that allows card members to activate both Social Security number alerts and new account alerts for free.
“Helping our cardmembers protect their personal information is one of our highest priorities,” said Shannon Kors, vice president of card programs strategy at Discover. “We’ve raised the bar even higher by offering Social Security Numbers Alerts for free to our cardmembers. It’s a way of looking out for our customers beyond just their Discover accounts.”
“Knowing is the first step toward preventing or resolving identity theft or fraud. That’s why our Social Security Alerts are intended to make sure our cardmembers are in the know when their identities might be at risk,” Kors added.
Discover credit cards with extra security features
Best for overall security and 5% cash back categories
0% for 14 months on purchases and Balance Transfers, then 11.99% - 22.99% Variable APR.
5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically*
Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- Earn 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back in any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- #1 Most Trusted Credit Card according to Investor’s Business Daily.
- No annual fee.
- Discover is accepted nationwide by 99% of the places that take credit cards.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Cash Back
How this card protects you: The Discover it® Cash Back (along with all Discover cards) comes with a long list of useful security features that add value on top of the generous cash back rewards on this card.
- Cardholders can activate free alerts that notify you if your Social Security number is found on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.
- Cardholders can activate free alerts to know when any new credit card, mortgage, car loan or other account shows up on your credit report.
- Freeze your account in seconds to prevent new purchases with an on/off switch available on both the mobile app and website.
- $0 fraud liability – You’re never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your credit card.
- Free overnight shipping for card replacement to any U.S. street address at your request.
- 100% U.S.-based customer service available any time.
Additional key features: 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically
Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300. You could turn $200 into $400 with Cashback Match™ or even more depending on your spending.
The first-year match means you can earn an extraordinary 10% cash back on up to $1,500 in each category (for a total of up to $6,000 the first year) on purchases in Discover’s rotating categories, when you activate quarterly online.
Finance purchases with intro APR 0% for 14 months then, 11.99% - 22.99% variable apr after that.
Cardholders enjoy a high cash back rate on category spending, a huge first-year cash sign-up bonus and 0% for 14 months intro APR to finance purchases.
Best for overall security and travel rewards
How this card protects you: The Discover it® Miles (along with all Discover cards) comes with the long list of security features highlighted above that come on top of one of the best travel sign-up bonuses available.
Additional key features: Discover rewards travelers with one of the most lucrative sign-up bonuses available. Discover will match all the miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year. For example, if you earn 35,000 miles, you will automatically get 70,000 miles, worth up to $700 in travel.
This first-class travel card offers you automatically earn unlimited 1.5x miles on every dollar of every purchase - with no annual fee.. With the sign-up bonus, that means you will earn 3 miles for every $1 you spend during your first year as a cardholder, which is a generous rate for a $0 annual fee card.
Not all travel credit cards offer 0% intro APR, and the inclusion here makes this card shine. Take advantage of long intro APR 0% Intro APR for 14 months on purchases big and small with this card in your wallet. After the promo period ends, the APR go-to rate is 11.99% - 22.99% variable apr. That means you have over a year to pay off the balance with no interest payments piling up.
This travel card is easy to use. Your miles won’t expire. No blackout dates, fly any airline, any time. No foreign transaction fees.
Read our Discover it® Miles Review.
In light of recent security data breaches, it pays to be vigilant about protecting your personal information. You have options on how to pay and the cards we’ve highlighted go above and beyond traditional security protections.