*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 19, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
There are few things more stressful than chipping away at a mountain of credit card debt. As soon as you make a payment, more interest charges get piled on and it can feel like you haven’t made any progress at all.
That’s when it might be a good time to see if you can find a card with a good 0% intro APR period. Without the weight of accruing interest bearing down on you and limiting your progress, you can make payments that will actually go toward your principal and help pay your debt down faster.
How do these cards work? Well, one option is to transfer a balance from an existing card to a card with a 0% intro APR period. You most likely will be charged a fee of 3 – 5 percent of the transfer. But that can be worth the cost, especially if you’re struggling to pay off cards that have really high interest rates. Once you’ve made the transfer, you have the length of the intro period to pay off your debt interest-free.
Check out all our balance transfer resources.
The other option is to use a 0% intro APR period card when you know you are about to make a hefty purchase and want a low-cost way to finance it. You can apply for a 0% intro APR card and pay your purchase off over the course of the intro period without worrying about accruing interest. Any balances that aren’t paid by the end of the intro period will begin to incur interest, so it’s a good idea to pick a card that has a long enough intro period for your needs.
Here are our favorite credit cards with 0% intro periods and no annual fee.
Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
0%* for 12 months on Purchases*
0%* for 21 months on Balance Transfers*
16.24% - 26.24%* (Variable)
- The ONLY card with No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee… EVER
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- The same great rate for all balances, after the introductory period
- Save time when you call with fast, personal help, 24 hours a day – just say “representative”
- Enjoy the convenience of setting up your own bill payment schedule on any available due date throughout the month
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
This card has one of the longest 0% intro periods on the market with 0%* for 12 months on Purchases* and 0%* for 21 months on Balance Transfers*. The amount of time in the intro period is great if you have a large balance to transfer, or simply want to pay new purchases off over a long time period. The balance transfer fee is 5% of each balance transfer; $5 minimum. In addition to intro periods, this is the only card with no late fees, no penalty rate, and a $0 annual fee. There are also no rewards because the main purpose of this card is to pay of debt — though you do get access to Citi® Private Pass®. If your primary purpose is to rid yourself of debt, the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever is a great way to do that.
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
15.74% - 25.74%* (Variable)
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.74% - 25.74% based on your creditworthiness*
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
This card is a standout for its cash back program as well as its balance transfer offer. The intro period is 0% for 18 months on balance transfers* with a balance transfer fee of 3% of each balance transfer; $5 minimum. There is no intro rate for purchases, however new purchases will Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. If you want to transfer a balance and earn cash back, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is one of our favorite cards.
Discover it® Balance Transfer
0% for 18 Months* on balance transfers & 0% for 6 Months on purchases
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
14.24% - 25.24% Variable*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Balance Transfer
With a long intro period, the Discover it® Balance Transfer is a good card for balance transfers with 0% for 18 months. The balance transfer fee is 3%. At 0% for 6 months, the purchase intro period is subpar, making this card primarily for balance transfers. Not only will you benefit from a 0% intro period, but there is 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
BankAmericard® credit card
0% Intro APR for 18 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days
0% Introductory APR on purchases for 18 billing cycles
15.24% - 25.24% Variable APR
- NEW OFFER: 0% Introductory APR for 18 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 15.24% - 25.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee (min $10) applies to all balance transfers
- No annual fee
- No penalty APR. Paying late won't automatically raise your interest rate (APR). Other account pricing and terms apply.
- Access your FICO® Score for free within Online Banking or your Mobile Banking app
See additional details for BankAmericard® credit card
The BankAmericard® credit card offers a great intro period. You have 0% Intro APR for 18 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days and there is also an intro period of 0% Introductory APR on purchases for 18 billing cycles, allowing you time to pay off debt accrued from new purchases without being charged interest. Keep in mind there are no rewards with this card.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
$150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
3% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases*
2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- No annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is an average 0% intro APR card offering 0% for 15 months for purchases and 0% for 15 months for balance transfers. The fee for transfers is either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. On top of the intro periods, you earn 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores. 1% cash back on other purchases. If you want to take advantage of a good intro period and earn cash back rewards, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a good option — particularly for grocery shoppers.
Check out our top picks for low-interest rate credit cards.