*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Jan 24, 2019, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
If you’d like to offset the cost of pricey oil changes on your Lexus or, say, a set of new tires, the Lexus Pursuits Visa® can help. The Lexus Pursuits Visa® provides a rewards program tailored to spending at Lexus dealerships, allowing those purchases to earn 5 points per dollar spent. This can help loyal Lexus customers earn more rewards compared with general-purpose cards.
The Lexus Pursuits Visa® is just OK compared with other rewards cards. It provides little benefit for non-Lexus customers, so if you don’t have a Lexus-inspired redemption goal, consider other rewards or cashback cards.
We’ll review the benefits and potential drawbacks of the Lexus Pursuits Visa®, and provide alternatives for car-related purchases.
What we like about the Lexus Pursuits Visa®
5 points per $1 at Lexus dealerships. This card offers a high rewards rate on Lexus dealership purchases. If you service your car at Lexus dealerships and want to maximize rewards, the Lexus Pursuits Visa® is the best choice since the most rewards you’ll earn from a flat-rate cashback card is 2.5%. Points can be redeemed for service, parts, accessories and even eligible Lexus vehicle purchases.
What we don’t like about the Lexus Pursuits Visa®
No special financing offers. You may think a car-branded credit card would offer special financing offers that can be used for car-related expenses, but the Lexus Pursuits Visa® doesn’t offer any. Balances you carry will be charged a 15.99%-24.99% variable APR. If you’re looking to finance new tires or an expensive repair, consider cards that offer intro 0% APR periods for up to 21 months instead.
Low rewards rate for everyday purchases. When you make purchases outside Lexus dealerships and gas, dining and entertainment spending categories, you earn a low 1 point per dollar spent.
3% foreign transaction fee. If you drive your Lexus outside the U.S. or travel anywhere abroad, purchases will incur a 3% fee. However, there are cards with no foreign transaction fees.
Rewards: 5 points per $1 spent at Lexus dealerships, 2 points per $1 spent on gas, dining and entertainment purchases, and 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else Visa is accepted.
New cardmember offer: Earn 5,000 bonus points when you spend $500 outside of Lexus dealerships within the first 90 days of account opening.
Points can be redeemed in several ways:
- Lexus service, parts and accessories
- Your next eligible Lexus vehicle purchase or lease
- Cash back as a statement credit
- Gift cards to select merchants
- Travel experiences
Car-related expenses can be costly, so choosing a card that offers an introductory 0% APR period for new purchases can help you finance more costly repairs, tires or other maintenance for more than a year.
Cards offering an intro 0% APR period for new purchases:
Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day
0% for 15 Months on Purchases and Balance Transfers
No minimums for redeeming and cash back won't expire for the life of the account
- One-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
- Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
See additional details for Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
0% for 18 months on purchases and qualifying balance transfers*
Enjoy $0 Annual Fee
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
See additional details for Wells Fargo Platinum Visa card
If you’ve already charged car-related purchases to a credit card and have fallen into debt, consider a balance transfer card. You can transfer your balance to a new card from a different issuer and save on high interest charges. Just know, a balance transfer fee may apply, but it can be worthwhile; do the math to make sure.
Cards offering an intro 0% APR period for balance transfers:
Earn up to $150 back
Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases
Reward Dollars can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise
- Earn a $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%.
- $0 plan fees for plans set up during your first 15 months of Card Membership with Plan It®, a feature that lets you split up big purchases into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
- You spoke, we listened. Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
- No Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for American Express Cash Magnet® Card
Earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
15.74% - 25.74%* (Variable)
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time
- 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.74% - 25.74% based on your creditworthiness.*
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
0%* for 12 months on Purchases*
0%* for 21 months on Balance Transfers*
16.99% - 26.99%* (Variable)
- The only card with No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee… EVER
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.99% - 26.99%, based on your creditworthiness
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.99% - 26.99%, based on your creditworthiness
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- The same great rate for all balances, after the introductory period
- Save time when you call with fast, personal help, 24 hours a day – just say “representative”
- Enjoy the convenience of setting up your own bill payment schedule on any available due date throughout the month
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
The Lexus Pursuits Visa® is a good choice for people who often spend at Lexus dealerships and want to earn high rewards on those purchases. Otherwise, this card is not much to write home about. The lack of special financing offers and added perks don’t make this card the best choice if you’re prone to debt or want a well-rounded rewards card. And, if you don’t spend at Lexus, there really isn’t any incentive to open this card.