*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Sep 28, 2010. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Yelp offers a lot more than just online reviews. Yelp Cash Back, a rewards program introduced in 2016, allows consumers to earn up to 15% back for shopping at participating businesses such as restaurants, gift shops and spas. Best of all, it’s simple to use and it’s free.
Learn how to earn and redeem rewards with Yelp Cash Back, how to find participating locations and how to maximize earnings with a cashback or points credit card.
- How to earn Yelp Cash Back
- How to find Yelp Cash Back locations
- How to redeem Yelp Cash Back
- How to earn more cash back on dining
How to earn Yelp Cash Back
It’s fairly simple to earn Yelp cash back — follow the steps below to start earning:
- Create a free Yelp account here. If you already have a Yelp account, skip to the next step.
- Add a credit or debit card as your payment method. You can add multiple cards, too.
- Activate offers at participating businesses. Make sure to click “claim this offer” on your computer or “activate” in the mobile app before spending.
- Use your linked card after activating an offer. Be aware that orders placed through online services, such as Grubhub, don’t qualify to earn Yelp Cash Back.
In a review of Yelp Cash Back offerings in multiple cities, we found that many businesses tended to offer rates of 4%, 5% or 6% cash back. While we did notice locations offering higher cashback rates, such as 9% or 14% back, those seemed to be less common.
Keep in mind that by using a rewards program like this one, you’re sacrificing some privacy regarding your transaction data. When you go to sign up for Yelp Cash Back, Yelp spells out that you’re allowing your data to be shared with among the following parties:
- Empyr (a service provider to Yelp)
- Participating merchants
- Card networks (Visa, Mastercard and American Express)
How to find Yelp Cash Back locations
1. Type ‘cash back’ in Yelp’s search bar. This will take you to a page where all of the businesses displayed offer cash back.
2. Or, check for a ‘dine here for X% cash back’ banner on the business’s Yelp page.
3. Or, filter for ‘cash back’ after searching for something.
Here’s where to find the filter in the Yelp app:
Once you enter a search, tap “filters.” Then, scroll down to “payment,” check the box for “cash back,” and hit “apply.” Now you’ll only see businesses offering Yelp Cash Back in the results.
And here’s how to find the filter if you’re using Yelp on a computer browser:
After entering a search, you’ll see filters set to “all” by default. Click this button, scroll down to “features,” and hit “see all.” A window will pop up with numerous options, one of which will be “cash back.” Select this and click “add.” Then, back at the main filters menu, click “apply filters.”
How to redeem Yelp Cash Back
When you use a linked card at participating businesses after having activated an offer, you don’t have to take any action to redeem your cash back.
Yelp Cash Back is credited to your primary card (which is the first card you linked) by the 18th of the month following the purchase.
To change the primary credit card tied to your account when you have multiple cards linked, go to the Cash Back enrollment page and to the desired card, then click “Make Primary.”
You should receive a notification from Yelp when your account has been credited.
How to earn more cash back on dining
While the Yelp Cash Back program offers generous rewards on dining at numerous restaurants, you can maximize your earnings by linking a credit card that earns cash back or points for dining, rather than a non-rewards credit card or a debit card. There are cards that offer up to 4% on dining on an ongoing basis.
As an example, if you link a card that earns 4% on dining out purchases to your Yelp Cash Back account, spending at a restaurant where Yelp shows 5% back can earn an effective 9% cashback rate. And if you find a business offering 15% cash back through the Yelp program, you could effectively earn 19% back.
Be aware that discussion among Yelp Cash Back users on a Reddit online threads indicate that some credit card issuers may process the cashback credit as a refund, which can result in the issuer taking back a portion of rewards earned on the purchase.
Here are some of our top credit cards for earning rewards on restaurant dining, selected through a review of cards available on CompareCards and from top issuers:
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Earn 4X points on dining, takeout and food delivery, 2X points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, streaming services and gas stations, and 1X points on all other eligible purchases.
0% for 12 billing cycles on purchases*, then 14.99% - 23.99%* (Variable) and 0% introductory APR for the first 12 billing cycles for balances transferred within 60 days from account opening, then 14.99% - 23.99%* (Variable)
- Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. That's a $200 value redeemable towards merchandise, gift cards, cash back, travel and more
- Earn 4X points on takeout, food delivery and dining
- Earn 2X points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, gas stations and on streaming services
- $15 credit for annual streaming service purchases such as Netflix and Spotify
- No annual fee*
- 1X point per $1 on all other eligible purchases
- Low Introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers
- Points never expire
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
Rewards: Earn 4X points on dining, takeout and food delivery, 2X points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, streaming services and gas stations, and 1X points on all other eligible purchases.
Annual fee: $0*
Regular purchase APR: 14.99% - 23.99%* (variable)
Additional benefits: Receive a $15 streaming service credit after 11 months of eligible streaming service purchases.
Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card
Rewards: Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining, entertainment & popular streaming services, plus 3% at grocery stores and 1% on other purchases.
Annual fee: $95.
Regular purchase APR: 15.99% - 24.99% (variable)
Additional benefits: Extended warranty, travel accident insurance, and a complimentary concierge service available to help with dining, entertainment and travel 24/7.
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Rewards: 3% Cash Back on dining and entertainment; 3% Cash Back on popular streaming services; 3% Cash Back at grocery stores; 1% Cash Back on all other purchases. Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023
Annual fee: $0
Regular purchase APR: 15.49% - 25.49% (variable)
Additional benefits: Extended warranty, travel accident insurance, and a complimentary concierge service that can help you with dining, entertainment and travel 24/7.
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases
0% fee for transactions while traveling abroad
$0 annual fee
- Discover one of Citi's best cash back rewards cards designed exclusively for Costco members
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- 2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership and enjoy no foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Receive an annual credit card reward certificate, which is redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco warehouses, including Puerto Rico
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.24%. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
See additional details for Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Rewards: 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases.
Annual fee: $0 (but you do need a Costco membership, which starts at $60 a year)
Regular purchase APR: 15.24% (variable)
Additional benefits: Extended warranty, damage and theft purchase protection, and special access to events, such as concerts and sporting events with Citi Entertainment.