*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 25, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
If you’re looking to finance tires or upcoming auto services at Goodyear, you may have heard of the Goodyear Credit Card. This $0 annual fee store card can only be used at Goodyear, and can provide discounts and special financing offers on your eligible purchases. You may be tempted to finance your costly tire purchase, but beware there are deferred interest charges that make the special financing offers a huge risk. We recommend avoiding this card’s special financing offers and only taking advantage of the exclusive cardholder perks that include oil change discounts and free tire rotation. If you need a card for financing purchases, we have some great recommendations toward the end of this review that can provide longer interest-free periods with better terms.
We’ll review the special financing offer and cardholder benefits provided by the Goodyear Credit Card and provide better alternatives for your auto purchases.
Special financing offers*
The Goodyear Credit Card offers one special financing offer:
- No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $250 or more. After the interest-free period, there’s a 30.24% variable APR.
While this may seem like a decent offer, you can easily find cards that provide interest-free periods up to 21 months. And, alternative cards from the major banks don’t have deferred interest, which we explain more in the next section.
Watch out for deferred interest
Many store cards charge deferred interest — which means if you take advantage of a special financing option and don’t pay it in full before the promotional interest-free period ends, you will incur all the interest you would’ve been charged during the interest period.
Here are the deferred interest terms for the Goodyear Credit Card:
“Interest will be charged to your account if the purchase amount is not paid in full within the qualifying number of months. Minimum payments required.”
To avoid deferred interest charges, make sure you pay your entire balance in full before the promotional interest-free period ends. Continuing to carry a balance post-special financing period defeats its purpose and may cause you to fall into debt — the interest rate is extremely high at 30.24% variable APR.
The Goodyear Credit Card has a few added perks:
- Oil change discounts: Get $5 off any oil change when paying with your Goodyear Credit Card at participating stores.
- Free tire rotation at participating stores
- Mail-in rebate offers
- Other exclusive offers that may include tire and installation savings
Compare it with the Firestone Credit Card
If you’re looking for an auto-store card with a lower APR, the Firestone Credit Card is an OK choice.
The Firestone Credit Card has a slightly lower APR at 28.80% fixed, compared with the Goodyear Credit Card’s 30.24% variable APR. If you carry a balance on your card, the Firestone Credit Card can save you a bit on interest charges. However, you should make it a point to pay each bill on time and in full with either card, since the APRs are very high.
Both cards offer the same 6-month, interest-free period with deferred interest, but the Firestone Credit Card has a lower minimum spending requirement at $149, compared with the Goodyear Credit Card’s $250. You really shouldn’t finance small purchases, so this shouldn’t be a major deciding factor.
While some may like the lower APR and lower spending requirement of the Firestone Credit Card, the only added perks are monthly deals and coupons. In comparison, the Goodyear Credit Card has a range of benefits including free tire rotation, rebate offers, oil change discounts and other offers. If you want a card that can provide you more benefits, the Goodyear Credit Card is a better option.
Here’s a breakdown of the key features of each card:
|Goodyear Credit Card||Firestone Credit Card|
|Regular Purchase APR||30.24% variable||28.80% fixed|
|Special Financing Offer||No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $250 or more.||No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $149 or more.|
Better alternative cards for financing tires and auto services
The alternative cards mentioned below provide longer intro periods than the Goodyear Credit Card, no deferred interest terms, and the ability to use your card on all purchases outside Goodyear. Plus, some cards may offer rewards and other benefits.
For upcoming purchases, cards with 0% APR on purchases:
Earn a $150 Bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
17.24% - 25.99% Variable
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
See additional details for Chase Freedom®
For existing balances, a balance transfer card:
0%* for 12 months on Purchases*
0%* for 21 months on Balance Transfers*
16.24% - 26.24%* (Variable)
- The ONLY card with No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee… EVER
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- The same great rate for all balances, after the introductory period
- Save time when you call with fast, personal help, 24 hours a day – just say “representative”
- Enjoy the convenience of setting up your own bill payment schedule on any available due date throughout the month
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
14.74% - 24.74%* (Variable)
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 14.74% - 24.74% based on your creditworthiness*
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
0% for 18 months on balance transfers & 0% for 6 months on purchases*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
14.24% - 25.24% Variable*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts - Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Balance Transfer
The Goodyear Credit Card is ideal for consumers looking to take advantage of the added perks that come with the card — whether it’s the oil change discounts or free tire rotation. If you’re looking to finance tires and auto services, we don’t recommend using this card since there are deferred interest terms. You’d be better off using one of the alternative cards mentioned earlier that provide longer intro 0% APR periods and no deferred interest.
*Terms and conditions apply. This offer and/or promotion may have since changed, expired, or is no longer available.