*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Jan 28, 2019, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
If you’re a loyal ExxonMobil customer looking to save up to 6 cents at the pump, there are several branded cards for you to choose from. ExxonMobil offers one personal card, ExxonMobil Smart Card, and three business cards, ExxonMobil Business Card, ExxonMobil Fleet National and ExxonMobil Business Fleet. While these cards have no annual fee, you may wonder if they are worthwhile, or if a general-purpose gas card is a better choice.
We’ll help you decide by reviewing each ExxonMobil card and providing alternative cards for gas-related spending.
ExxonMobil Smart Card
This is a $0 annual fee card that allows you to save 6 cents per gallon on fuel purchases at Exxon and Mobil locations within the U.S. In addition, new cardmembers get 12 cents off every gallon of Synergy fuel for the first 2 months after account open date when you apply online or 50 cents off the first 2 months when you apply with the Speedpass+ app (valid through 1/31/19).
Beyond saving on gas, the ExxonMobil Smart Card doesn’t offer much benefit. This card can only be used at Exxon or Mobil stations, so there’s not much flexibility. Also, beware there is a high 28.74% variable APR, so avoid carrying a balance month-to-month. Consider alternative gas cards that can be used anywhere and have more reasonable interest rates in the suggested alternative section below.
ExxonMobil Business Card
The ExxonMobil Business Card is a no-frills credit card that provides business owners the ability to open employee cards and easily track fuel and non-fuel purchases as well as download spending reports. This card comes with a slightly high APR of 23.00% variable, so make sure to pay each statement on time and in full.
Just know, there are no gas-savings, limiting the incentive to open this ExxonMobil-specific card since you can find other business cards that track employee spending and offer rewards. However, you can consider the two ExxonMobil Fleet cards mentioned next, which both offer gas savings.
ExxonMobil Fleet National and ExxonMobil Business Fleet
ExxonMobil offers two Fleet charge cards, the ExxonMobil Fleet National and the ExxonMobil Business Fleet. A charge card can be used the same way as a regular credit card, but you’re required to pay your balance in full every month, compared to a credit card that allows you to pay balances over time, with interest.
The ExxonMobil Fleet National and the ExxonMobil Business Fleet are quite similar, both allowing you to save up to 6 cents per gallon. The exact savings you receive depends on how many gallons of fuel are purchased per billing period:
|Gallons purchased per billing period||Rebate per gallon|
|< 500||1 cent|
|500 – 3,999||3 cents|
|4,000 – 6,999||4 cents|
|7,000 – 9,999||5 cents|
|10,000 +||6 cents|
However, they differ in account set-up fee, monthly account fee, and merchant acceptance:
|ExxonMobil Fleet National||ExxonMobil Business Fleet|
|Account set-up fee||None||$40|
|Monthly account fee||$10*||$2 per card|
|Merchant acceptance||95% of all gas stations in the country||Over 10,000 Exxon and Mobil stations, only|
Gas card alternatives
If you’re looking to save on gas purchases, there are several rewards and cashback cards that can earn you up to 4% on gas purchases and a wide range of card perks, such as travel insurance, purchase protection, and more.
Here are some of our favorite cards:
0% Introductory APR on purchases for 12 billing cycles
0% Intro APR for 12 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days
16.24% - 26.24% Variable APR on purchases and balance transfers
- No annual fee
- $150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- NEW OFFER: Maximize your cash back in the category of your choice: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement /furnishings
- Now earn 3% cash back in your choice category and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases), and unlimited 1% on all other purchases
- You can update your choice category for future purchases once each calendar month using the Mobile banking app or Online banking, or do nothing and it stays the same.
- No expiration on rewards
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases AND for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 16.24% - 26.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee (min $10) applies to all balance transfers
- If you're a Preferred Rewards client, you can get a 25% - 75% rewards bonus on every purchase
See additional details for Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card has a flexible cashback program where you earn 3% cash back in your choice category, 2% cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases & 1% cash back on every purchase. You have the flexibility to choose from six spending categories: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement and furnishings to earn 3% cash back each month. The 3% category can be changed once each month, or left the same.
$200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.*
6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases*
3% cash back at U.S. gas stations, 1% back on other purchases*
- $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations. 1% cash back on other purchases.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
If you spend a lot at U.S. grocery stores and U.S. gas stations, consider the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Cardholders earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations, 1% cash back on other purchases. Just know, there’s a $95 annual fee, but it can be worthwhile for some.
4% on gas, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco, 1% everywhere else
0% fee for transactions while traveling abroad
$0* annual fee
- Exclusively for Costco Members: Go Big with Cash Back Rewards
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- 2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership*
See additional details for Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is a great choice for Costco members who want to earn cash back on eligible gas purchases: 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases. Gas purchases that don’t earn 4% include: gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non–automobile purposes. But you can earn 1% cash back for those purchases. Keep in mind this card requires a Costco membership, which starts at $60.
Read our roundup of the best gas cards.
The ExxonMobil credit cards don’t have any noteworthy perks that make opening a card worthwhile. The main draw of some of these cards is the ability to save up to 6 cents per gallon, but unless you’re buying a lot of gas, you could probably be better off choosing a general-purpose gas card or a flat-rate cashback card for your gas-related purchases. Plus, these cards are mostly limited to Exxon and Mobil stations, and come with high APRs and potential monthly fees.
The information related to the ExxonMobil Smart Card and the ExxonMobil Business Card has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.