*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Sep 27, 2018. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Some 95 percent of Americans own a cell phone of some kind, according to a Pew Research Center survey released in February 2018. And three-quarters of U.S. adults have desktop or laptop computers, while roughly half own tablets and around 25% possess e-reader devices.
That’s a lot of devices that need Wi-Fi access, whether you’re on the road or at home. For those who need coverage, there are 11 credit cards that offer members free Wi-Fi in the air and on the ground. We take a look at these cards offering versions of this perk and reveal what you have to do to get it. We’ll also outline the other travel-related benefits that come with these cards.
Cards that offer free Wi-Fi on flights
Crystal® Visa Infinite® Credit Card
- After registering a card, cardmembers get free Gogo in-flight Wi-Fi covering up to 12 flight segments a year. At $19 for 24 hours of in-flight Wi-Fi, this adds up to $228 a year. Other travel benefits that come with the card, with its $400 annual fee, include: a yearly $250 airline credit; an up to $550 credit for an airline lounge membership; a $100 airfare credit; an up to $100 credit to cover Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment fees; trip cancellation/trip interruption protection; lost luggage reimbursement; travel and emergency assistance; trip delay reimbursement; and travel accident insurance.
- The Expedia®+ Voyager Card from Citi, with its $95 annual fee, comes with a $100 yearly credit that can be used to pay for travel incidentals, including in-flight Wi-Fi — that gets you five 24-hour Gogo Wi-Fi passes. It can also be used for checked bags, in-flight entertainment and refreshments and Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment fees.
The information related to Expedia®+ Voyager Card from Citi has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. This offer and/or promotion may have since changed, expired, or is no longer available.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card
- If you have the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card, with an annual fee of $0 intro* for the first year, then $49*, you get 12 free Gogo® inflight Wi-Fi passes a year, worth $228. There’s also a $25 airline allowance per air travel award ticket that can be used for baggage fees, in-flight food and drinks or a seat upgrade.
Cards that offer free Wi-Fi at hotels
60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.*
Up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees & more at one qualifying airline*
No foreign transaction fees & exclusive airport lounge access*
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Under the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan, cardmembers have free access to unlimited Wi-Fi at more than 1 million hotspots worldwide for up to 4 devices. The plan is valued at $468 a year. For a $550 annual fee, The Platinum Card® from American Express also offers a $200 airline credit, a $100 credit to cover Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment fees and access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection. You get the same travel perks with The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, but at a $595 annual fee.
- For a $450 annual fee, cardmembers get automatic Diamond elite status, which includes free premium in-room Wi-Fi access. The card also comes with an annual $250 airline credit, a Priority Pass Select airport lounge membership, baggage insurance and travel accident insurance.
The information related to the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.
- The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card offer free in-room, premium internet access when staying at participating Marriott hotels. The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, with its $450 annual fee, comes with travel accident insurance and a baggage insurance plan that covers eligible lost, damaged, or stolen baggage. The same travel benefits come with the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, with an annual fee of $125. Terms apply.
The information related to the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. This offer and/or promotion may have since changed, expired, or is no longer available.
- You receive automatic Discoverist status with this card, which includes free premium in-room internet where available. The card, with its $95 annual fee, also comes with trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance and lost luggage reimbursement.
The information related to The World Of Hyatt Credit Card has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.