*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 13, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
Who the card is best for
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business is a good option for a $0 annual fee travel business card. There are numerous perks that you can take advantage of with this card, as well as an introductory APR of 0% on purchases for 9 months. Once the introductory period ends, 15.24% - 23.24% (Variable) APR applies. Compared to other cards, this card has a lower rewards rate, but it’s reasonable since cards with higher rewards rates may have fees.
1.5 Miles per $1 on every purchase
One-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
Redeem miles with any airlines and any hotel
- Earn 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase
- Plus, a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy
- Save on interest with 0% intro APR on purchases for 9 months; 15.24% - 23.24% variable APR after that
- Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Get online Quarterly and Year-End Summaries
- There's no limit to the amount of miles you can earn
- Fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
See additional details for Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Where this card stands out in its category
This card has a $0 annual fee, which can be hard to find with business cards. Couple that with great additional card features like shopping discounts, travel insurance, Visa Signature® Luxury Hotels, and more — and your business has many ways to save money and take advantage of great perks.
Where this card falls short in its category
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has a below average rewards rate of 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase (we consider 2 miles per $1 ideal). You can find other travel business cards with higher rates, but they may come with an annual fee.
Additional card benefits
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers many additional benefits:
- Quarterly and year-end summaries: Make business operations easier with a custom, itemized report of your spending.
- Visa® SavingsEdge: Purchases made at participating merchants can save your business up to 15%. Visit www.visasavingsedge.com for details.
- Downloadable purchase records: Purchase records can be easily downloaded to Quicken®, QuickBooksTM and Excel®.
- Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection: The Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection encompasses more than 900 hotels and allows you access to exclusive benefits.
- Roadside dispatch: While in the U.S. and Canada, you can access 24/7 towing and locksmith referral services.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: If you get in an accident or your rental is stolen, you can be covered if the purchase was made with your card.
- Travel and emergency assistance: While traveling, access 24/7 emergency services including ticket replacement, legal or medical referrals, and more.
- Visa Signature® Concierge service: Booking travel or reservations, finding tickets and more is easier with the Visa Signature Concierge — available 24/7.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: When you charge your ticket to your card, you receive up to $3,000 in coverage for lost or stolen checked or carry-on luggage.
- Travel accident insurance: Unfortunately, accidents happen when traveling, and you will receive fee-free coverage for accidental death or dismemberment if you charge your travel fare to your card.
- Fine Wine & Food: Access special dining and wine experiences with your card. You can attend dining events, complimentary wine tastings and more.
- Various discounts: Receive exclusive access and benefits to sporting events and discounts at premium retailers.
*Certain restrictions, limitations, and exclusions apply. For questions or assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: call the toll-free number on the back of your Visa Signature Business card.
How to use it most effectively
You’ll see the most benefit from the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business when you use it for all spending. Earn 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase. Employee cards are a good way to earn additional miles on business purchases. Just be aware that as the business owner, you’re responsible for all charges made on the account, including employee spending.
This card is great to use when traveling for business. Not only will you earn a consistent rate on all purchases, but you benefit from no foreign transaction fee. This is equal to a 3 – 5 percent savings per transaction made abroad, typical of some cards that charge a foreign transaction fee.
To benefit from the signup bonus, complete the requirements: one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers a decent 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase.
You have two ways to redeem your miles for travel:
1) Redeem for past travel purchases using Purchase Eraser®: This allows you to redeem your miles and receive an account credit for the cost of your travel purchase. Redemptions must be made within 90 days from the date your travel purchase posts to your account. Typically you receive your credit within two to three business days after the redemption. Terms apply. 2) Book new travel reservations: Redeem for flights, car rentals or hotel stays by paying with your miles. Simply go to capitalone.com or contact the Rewards Center to book. The number of miles needed for travel redemption varies on the cost of the purchase. To find out how much a trip will cost in miles, multiply the cost of your travel purchase by 100. For example, if your travel purchase costs $200, you would multiply that by 100 to determine you need 20,000 miles to redeem. Terms apply.
You can also redeem your miles for cash in the form of a check or account credit, gift cards and more. Rates for these other redemption options vary and are subject to change without notice.
There is a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
Compare it with the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business and the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business are both travel rewards cards from Capital One, but they differ in three key ways: annual fee, rewards rate, and intro period. The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has a $0 annual fee which is great for businesses who don’t want to pay a fee. If a fee isn’t a dealbreaker, the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business might be a good fit with a reasonable annual fee of $0 intro for first year; $95 after that.
Unlimited 2x miles per dollar
Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
Redeem miles with any airline and any hotel
- Earn unlimited 2 miles per $1 on every purchase, everywhere
- Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles - equal to $500 in travel - once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Receive up to $100 credit for one Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee
- Fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
- $0 fraud liability if your card is lost or stolen
- Free employee cards which also earn unlimited 2x miles from their purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
See additional details for Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
When it comes to how you earn miles, the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offers a higher rate than the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business. Just because the rewards rate is higher doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the better card for your business. Look at other factors like the annual fee.
If your business wants to carry a balance, the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has an introductory 0% on purchases for 9 months, then 15.24% - 23.24% (Variable) APR applies. This allows you to save on interest payments. Meanwhile, the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business lacks an intro period. Here’s a breakdown of the key features of each card.
|Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business||Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business|
|Annual Fee||$0||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that|
|Purchase Intro Rate||0% on purchases for 9 months||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Intro Rate||N/A||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Fee||N/A||N/A|
|Ongoing APR||15.24% - 23.24% (Variable)||19.24% (Variable)|
|Rewards||1.5 Miles per $1 on every purchase||2 Miles per $1 on every purchase, everywhere|
|Sign Up Bonus||One-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening||Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None||None|
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business is a good card for businesses that want to earn miles and don’t want to pay an annual fee. You will earn a decent rewards rate on all purchases, and benefit from the many additional perks of this card.