*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 29, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
The Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® is a $0 annual fee rewards card that predominantly benefits shoppers at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s. You won’t really receive Bass Pro Shops-specific perks as a cardmember, which is a bit of a letdown for a store-specific card. And the rewards you earn are just OK compared to general-purpose cards.
If you’re an avid fan of Bass Pro Shops, you may see benefit from using the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® on your Bass Pro Shops purchases, but you can do better with one of the alternative cards we mention below. Check out our review of the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® to see if the card is worthwhile for you.
What we like about the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard®
The Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® offers a lower APR for purchases made at its stores: 9.99% APR on Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s purchases; 16.99% - 25.99% variable APR on all other purchases. This rate can be helpful if you find yourself carrying a balance month to month as a result of Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s purchases. But we strongly recommend you avoid overspending on your card since you’ll incur interest charges and risk falling into debt.
What we don’t like about the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard®
The Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® is a very bare-bones card without any substantial perks beyond the rewards program for cardholders to take advantage of. When asked if there were birthday rewards or free shipping — two features common to store cards — a customer service representative said: “If a promotion is available for the cardholder, we will advertise it. At this time we do not have any.” This makes the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® less valuable compared to other store cards and general-purpose cards.
Cardholders Earn 2% back in CLUB Points on purchases at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s and 1% back in CLUB Points on purchases anywhere else Mastercard® credit cards are accepted. This is a decent rate for Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s, but subpar for purchases made outside those stores. You can easily find a card offering more than 1% on everyday spending.
The CLUB points you earn can be redeemed at any U.S. Bass Pro Shops or U.S. Cabela’s retail store, online at www.basspro.com or www.cabelas.com and on orders through Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s catalogs. Points can be redeemed starting at 500 points for a $10 reward.
Besides a rewards program, there’s a new cardmember offer: Earn $25 in CLUB Points upon approval and earn an additional $10 in CLUB Points after five purchases within 30 days of account approval.
Alternatives for department store shopping
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
15.49% - 25.49%* (Variable)
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.49% - 25.49% based on your creditworthiness*
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
A flat-rate cashback card can earn you more points than the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard® on all your purchases outside Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s. The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer offers a consistent cashback rate — earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. Compared to the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard®, that’s a much better rate. Plus, rewards can be redeemed in more ways such as gift cards, statement credits and direct deposit. Additionally, this card has a $0* annual fee and the ability to register eligible items with Citi® Price Rewind. Use this feature and Citi will search for a lower price within 60 days from the purchase date. If a lower price is found, you may receive the difference between the price you paid and the lower price.
$200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.*
6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases*
3% cash back at U.S. gas stations, 1% back on other purchases*
- $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations. 1% cash back on other purchases.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
While the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a great option for U.S. department store shopping, beware that Bass Pro Shops purchases don’t qualify for 3% cash back. But you most likely also shop at other department stores that can benefit from the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, including stores such as Macy’s and J.C. Penney that qualify for 3% cash back. This is one of few cashback cards to provide an ongoing high rate on select U.S. department store purchases. While it does come with a $95 annual fee, if you spend $3,167 a year at select U.S. department stores, you can earn enough cash back to recoup the fee. One of the handy perks provided by this card is free two-day shipping at select online retailers with ShopRunner, which can save you money on shipping charges.
Cashback cards offering rotating 5% cashback categories can be a good option if you want to maximize cash back. These cards typically include department stores or online shopping sites such as Amazon.com as a bonus category for one quarter of the year. These cards can earn you a good amount of cash back during those quarters. But take note that you’ll need to activate the bonus categories each quarter, and that the 5% cashback rate is often capped at $1,500 of spending before the cashback rate drops to 1%.
Here are two of our favorite rotating 5% cashback cards:
Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
Any amount, any time. Cash back rewards never expire*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Cash Back
Earn a $150 Bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey?
- No annual fee
See additional details for Chase Freedom®
While the rewards program is decent for Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s purchases, it’s subpar for all other purchases you make outside those stores. For that reason and the lack of store perks on the Bass Pro Shops CLUB Mastercard®, we recommend avoiding this card altogether. You’re better off using a cashback card that provides a flat 2% cashback on all purchases, or another card offering special financing and other perks.