*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 21, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
If you’re a loyal Amazon customer, it’s probably worth your while to take a look at the online retail giant’s credit card offerings — especially if you’re an Amazon Prime member. You might be able to earn cash back up to 5% per $1, or take advantage of promotional financing offers. If you’re only an occasional Amazon shopper, we’ll talk about your options. Read on.
In this article:
- At a glance
- Amazon.com Store Card
- Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card
- Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card
- Alternative cards to consider
- The bottom line
Amazon credit cards at a glance
Here’s a quick look at what each card offers in terms of rewards and sign-up bonuses, and what each one charges in terms of fees and purchase APR.
|Amazon.com Store Card||Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card||Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card||Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card|
|Regular Purchase APR||27.49% variable||28.24% (variable)||14.24%-22.24% Variable||14.24% - 22.24% variable|
|Rewards||No rewards for basic cardholders; Prime members can earn 5% back at Amazon.com||No rewards for basic cardholders; Prime members can Earn 5% back on all Amazon.com purchases with an eligible Amazon Prime membership.||3% cash back on all your Amazon.com purchases, and 2% cash back at gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores (1% back elsewhere).||5% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market, 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, 1% back on all other purchases|
|New Cardmember Offer||$10 Amazon.com gift card upon approval||$10 Amazon.com Gift Card will instantly be loaded into your Amazon.com Account upon the approval of your credit card application.||$50 Amazon Gift Card instantly upon approval||$100 Amazon.com Gift Card instantly upon credit card approval|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||N/A||N/A||3%||None|
|Special Financing Offers||Yes||Yes||No||No|
*The 5% back at Amazon.com benefit cannot be combined with any special financing or equal pay offer.
Amazon.com Store Card
The basic version of this card doesn’t offer rewards. It does come with options for promotional financing, which gives a period of time to pay off a large purchase without accruing interest.
Be sure to pay off the purchase within the allotted time period if you make use of a promotional financing offer or you’ll be hit with “deferred interest,” which means you’ll get hit with interest from the date you made the purchase. This is different from true 0% APR introductory offers, which may give you a period during which interest won’t accrue on purchases or balance transfers, and will start charging interest on any remaining balance from the date the intro period expires.
Here are the promotional financing offers on the Amazon.com Store Card:
- Pay no interest on Amazon.com purchases of $149 or more if the entire purchase amount is paid in full within six months.
- Pay no interest on Amazon.com purchases of $599 or more if the entire purchase amount is paid in full within 12 months.
- Pay no interest on select Amazon.com purchases of $799 or more if the entire purchase amount is paid in full within 24 months.
You must still make at least the minimum monthly payment during the special financing period.
Equal Monthly Payments
- Make equal monthly payments for six months on Amazon.com purchases of $150 or more.
- Make equal monthly payments for 12 months on Amazon.com purchases of $600 or more.
- Make equal monthly payments for 24 months on select Amazon.com purchases of $600 or more.
If you’re an Amazon Prime member and you have this card, you’ll automatically be upgraded to the Amazon Prime Store Card. The upgraded card has a generous cashback rate — Earn 5% back on all Amazon.com purchases with an eligible Amazon Prime membership.
An annual Prime membership costs $119, or $59 for a college student. At 5% cash back, it’ll take spending $2,380 to recoup the $119 fee, or $1,180 to recoup $59 fee. There are also monthly Prime plans, but they cost more over the course of a year than paying annually.
If you shop a lot at Amazon and have a Prime membership, getting this card could be a way to earn a great cashback rate on purchases you’re already making. However, you can’t combine cash back and promotional financing. On eligible purchases of $149 or more, you’ll be asked to choose whether you want to receive rewards or go with a financing offer.
Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card
The Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card has essentially the same features as the Amazon.com Store Card. The difference lies in that it is a secured credit card aimed at those with no credit history or with limited credit history.
A secured credit card may require you to submit a security deposit, which generally becomes your credit limit. For example, if you submit a $500 deposit, your card may have a $500 limit, minus any fees. You’ll still have to make payments on what you charge to the card — the deposit does not cover that, but just protects the bank in case you default. Once you cancel the card, however, you will get your deposit back, minus any balance or fees you owe.
The Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card has the same promotional financing options as the Amazon.com Store Card: options for equal payments or special financing on purchases of $150 or more.
As with the Amazon.com Store Card, if you make use of a promotional financing deal, make sure you pay off the entire amount within the promotional window. With an APR of 28.24% (variable) on purchases, you don’t want to be hit with interest charges from the date of purchase.
If you have an Amazon Prime membership, you’ll automatically get the Amazon Prime Store Card Credit Builder version of this card, which can Earn 5% back on all Amazon.com purchases.
After making seven consecutive on-time monthly payments, Synchrony Bank — the bank Amazon partners with for this credit card — will review your account to see if you’re eligible to be upgraded to the unsecured Amazon.com Store Card and potentially get your deposit back.
Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card
If you’re not interested in promotional financing and want a credit card you can use for more than just Amazon.com purchases, the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card is worth a look. You can earn 3% cash back on all your Amazon.com purchases, and 2% cash back at gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores (1% back elsewhere)..
Rewards can be redeemed for statement credit, electronic deposit into an eligible checking or savings account, points at Amazon.com, gift cards and more. Plus, there’s no minimum to redeem and 100 points = $1.
Tip: If you redeem points during checkout at Amazon.com, you miss out on earning any additional points on your purchase since you’re technically not using your card to pay. The points you miss out on are minor, but if you want to earn the most points possible, use your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card at checkout. This allows you to earn points. Then, redeem your points for a statement credit.
This card also comes with a $50 Amazon Gift Card instantly upon approval. If you apply and are approved at checkout, the gift card will be deducted from your purchase and any remaining balance on the gift card will be added to your account. If you apply without making a purchase, the gift card will be credited to your account.
Additional perks include:
- Travel accident insurance: Pay for air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, and you may receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000.*
- Lost luggage reimbursement: You’re covered for up to $3,000 per passenger if you or an immediate family member’s checked or carry-on luggage is damaged or lost by the carrier.*
- Baggage delay insurance: You may be reimbursed for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing if your baggage is delayed over six hours by passenger carrier (like a plane or train) up to $100 a day for three days.*
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: When you pay for an eligible rental with your card, you may receive coverage for theft and collision damage. Note: Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.*
- Travel and emergency assistance: Receive referrals for legal and medical issues that may arise. Note: you’re responsible for the cost of any goods or services obtained.*
- Roadside dispatch: If you need a tow, jumpstart, tire change or other service for your car, call 1-800-847-2869 to receive dispatch. Note: You’re responsible for the cost of services rendered.*
- Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection: With over 900 luxury hotels, the Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection provides superior perks including competitive rates, complimentary room upgrades (when available), free Wi-Fi (when available), and more.*
- Visa Signature® Concierge Service: Representatives are available 24/7 to help you with a wide range of requests from making dinner reservations to finding tickets for events to sending gifts.*
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card
If you’re a heavy spender at Amazon and Whole Foods, this card will likely be your favorite of Amazon’s credit card offerings. The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card has all the same benefits of the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card , but offers a higher rewards rate. You can earn 5% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market, 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, 1% back on all other purchases. There’s also a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card instantly upon credit card approval.
It’s important to note that you need an Amazon Prime membership if you want this card.
You’ll break even after spending $2,380 a year at the 5% cashback rate, or $1,180 if you have Prime Student. After that, everything earned is net cash back. With no limit on how much cash back you can earn, that’s a huge opportunity.
Alternative cards to consider
For 5% cash back
The Discover it® Cash Back lets you 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically There’s a $0 annual fee, so if you don’t want to shell out money for Amazon Prime, this card could be a good alternative. However, if you’re a heavy Amazon shopper and you already have Prime, one of the Amazon cards could potentially earn you more cash back than Discover’s rotating cashback categories.
0% for 14 months on purchases and Balance Transfers, then 11.99% - 22.99% Variable APR.
5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically*
Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- Earn 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back in any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- #1 Most Trusted Credit Card according to Investor’s Business Daily.
- No annual fee.
- Discover is accepted nationwide by 99% of the places that take credit cards.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Cash Back
For flat-rate cash back
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer offers the chance to earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. The great thing about this card is a competitive cashback rate on all purchases — no categories to activate, no limitation to a specific store.
However, if you do a significant amount of your shopping on Amazon, you have a Prime membership, and you can qualify for one of the Amazon cards offering 5% cash back, you may benefit from the higher cashback rate.
The bottom line
If you often shop at Amazon.com, one of the Amazon-branded credit cards can be great to have in your wallet. This is especially true if you’re an Amazon Prime member and qualify for the Amazon Prime Store Card or Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.
The information related to the Amazon.com Store Card, the Amazon Store Card Credit Builder Card, the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card , and the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card has been independently collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuers of these cards prior to publication.