*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Jun 23, 2020. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Perhaps one of the most attractive features of Amazon Prime is the free two-day shipping that comes along with the membership. But what if you want to enjoy that same benefit on purchases made at merchants outside of Amazon? That’s where ShopRunner comes in.
ShopRunner lets members enjoy free two-day shipping and free returns on eligible items, including apparel, jewelry, luggage, electronics, fitness equipment and much more, from over 100 stores. While a ShopRunner membership comes with an annual fee, it is possible to receive a complimentary membership from some credit cards or a PayPal or Yahoo account.
We break down what you need to know about ShopRunner, including how it works and how you can enroll.
What is ShopRunner?
ShopRunner is a membership service that offers free two-day shipping on all eligible purchases made from participating retailers. Members also receive free shipping on returns of eligible items purchased from retail partners. Just know, the two-day shipping timeframe starts when the eligible item is shipped, and not when the item was ordered.
ShopRunner stores include more than 100 retailers – ranging from apparel and sporting goods to cosmetics and food merchants, such as:
- Brooks Brothers
- Cheryl’s Cookies
- Cole Haan
- Elizabeth Arden
- Harry and David
- Kate Spade
- NBA Store
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Sam Edelman
- Taylormade Golf
- The Popcorn Factory
While the cost of shipping is waived by ShopRunner, the order payment, fulfillment, shipping and returns are processed by the store.
Is ShopRunner free?
ShopRunner charges an annual membership fee of $79 – which will automatically be renewed at the end of your subscription year. You may, however, qualify for a free membership if you have an eligible American Express, Chase or Mastercard credit card, or if you have a PayPal or Yahoo account.
American Express offers ShopRunner to its U.S. consumer and small business cardmembers when you enroll at shoprunner.com/americanexpress. Your ShopRunner account will remain active as long as you maintain an eligible American Express credit card.
Note, if you have an existing ShopRunner account and enroll in the benefit through your credit card, ShopRunner will cancel the existing ShopRunner account. Any prepaid and unused portion of your membership fee will be refunded to you within two to four weeks of enrollment.
Here are some American Express cards that offer ShopRunner:
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Earn $200 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
3% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases
2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Earn $200 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores.
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.99% to 23.99%.
- Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits.
- No annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 6 months.
Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties . Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for The Platinum Card® from American Express
Eligible Chase cardholders can receive a free one-year membership to ShopRunner when they enroll at shoprunner.com/chase by February 28, 2021. Here are some of our recommendations for best Chase credit cards:
80,000 bonus points
2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
0% Intro APR on Purchases for 12 months, then 13.24% - 19.24% Variable
Earn $750 bonus cash back
Earn 5% cash back in select business categories
- Earn $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year
- Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information
- No Annual Fee
- Redeem rewards for cash back, gift cards, travel and more through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases
See additional details for Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
Read: Best Chase Credit Cards
Complimentary ShopRunner membership is an ongoing benefit available to World Mastercard® and World Elite Mastercard® members, as long as your eligible card account remains open. You can verify your eligibility for the ShopRunner benefit by entering your card account number at shoprunner.com/mastercard.
Paypal members are eligible for a free one-year ShopRunner membership when they enroll at shoprunner.com/paypal.
Yahoo members can receive a complimentary ongoing ShopRunner membership by signing up at shoprunner.com/yahoo.
How does ShopRunner work?
After signing up for your ShopRunner membership, you can take advantage of free shipping by following these steps:
- Shop online for items from a ShopRunner partner store.
- Check to see if the item qualifies for free two-day shipping by looking for the ShopRunner logo before adding the item to your cart.
- Sign in to your ShopRunner account at checkout.
- Before completing your order, choose ShopRunner as your shipping option, and receive free two-day shipping on your eligible items.
Note, there may be a minimum order amount – typically $25 – to qualify for free shipping. Also, some items may not be eligible for the benefit.
If you want to return an order placed through ShopRunner, either use the return label included in the package by the store or log in to your ShopRunner account and download a prepaid return label. All items are returned directly to the store from which the item was purchased, and refunds are issued by the store.
See the return policy for each ShopRunner store here.
Is ShopRunner worth it?
If you order items from one of the 100+ stores within the ShopRunner network at least one time per month, you can easily get your money’s worth from ShopRunner’s $79 annual membership fee. And if you have a credit card that offers a complimentary ShopRunner membership – that’s even better. But keep in mind that the credit card may charge an annual fee of its own.
For example, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, which offers a free ShopRunner membership, charges an annual fee of $250.
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.*
Earn 3 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels.
First Check Bag Free on Delta flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer Ends 4/28/21.
- Earn 3 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 1.5 miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that’s an extra half point per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year. 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
- With Status Boost®, earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year, up to 2x per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Plus, throughout 2021 earn an additional 2,500 MQMs after making $25,000 in purchases, up to 2x. That’s in addition to the 10,000 MQMs that you would earn with Status Boost.
- Status-like benefits: First Check Bag Free on Delta flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
That said, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card also offers several other valuable benefits that can help offset that amount, including your first checked bag free, an annual companion certificate and a fee credit for Global Entry and TSA Precheck.
If you enroll for a complimentary membership with a participating credit card, know that you aren’t required to use that card for your purchase.