*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Apr 18, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
The first is transferring the Chase points you earn on those cards to the loyalty programs of nine airline partners and redeeming them for flights. The second is using your points on the Chase Ultimate Rewards® website to book flights directly, without award travel restrictions.
Points go further on the Chase Ultimate Rewards website since you receive 25% to 50% more value with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, respectively. Simply pay for flights with points. The number needed is determined by the cash cost of a ticket.
However, there is a catch — the Chase Ultimate Rewards website doesn’t show all airlines available for bookings. Large global airlines such as Delta, Lufthansa, and Cathay Pacific are no problem and easily bookable.
The problem is with low-cost carriers, such as Southwest Airlines and Ryanair, which don’t have traditional reservation agreements with the big travel networks. So their flights don’t show up on the Chase Ultimate Rewards website.
Some airlines, including Southwest, Allegiant Air and Norwegian, allow you to book flights using your Chase Ultimate Rewards points by calling 866-951-6592. But others have no ties at all to the Chase travel center, and it’s not all clearly labeled online. The chart below outlines the rules on top low-cost carriers around the world.
Tip: This information could change anytime, so call the travel center to check if an airline has been added.
|Visible on Chase website?||Bookable by phone?|
How to book those unbookable airlines
For airlines that aren’t bookable directly via Chase — either by phone or on the Ultimate Rewards website — there is another way to redeem points for flights. Use your Chase card to book a flight on your airline of choice, then redeem the points you earn on it as a statement credit to offset your purchase.
The only catch is when you redeem your points for a statement credit, you lose the more value received on points when you redeem them for travel on the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, every 10,000 points is worth $125 toward travel purchases when travel booked on the Chase Ultimate Rewards website, while with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® every 10,000 points is worth $150. The statement credit is only worth $100 on both for 10,000 points.
Redeeming your points for a statement credit isn’t the greatest deal. In a perfect world, it would be better if more airlines were bookable via Chase, allowing you to get more value for them when using the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
However, the statement credit is a viable fallback if your chosen airline isn’t available on the Chase Ultimate Rewards website.
Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Reserve®