*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 02, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
If you’re a frequent shopper at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods or Sierra Trading Post, you’ll be interested to know there are two $0 annual fee credit cards that can earn you great rewards on your purchases.
The choices you have include:
- TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard
- TJX Rewards® Credit Card
In this review, we’ll break down who should consider applying for a TJX Rewards® card, the rewards associated with each card, and alternative cards for department store shopping.
Who the TJX Rewards® card is best for
If you’re an avid shopper at T.J. Maxx or any of one of their family stores — Marshalls, HomeGoods, and Sierra Trading Post — you can benefit from one of the TJX Rewards® cards. You earn rewards at a higher rate than other general-purpose cards that may only offer up to a flat 3% cash back on select department store purchases or 5% cash back for three months with a quarterly limit.
Shoppers who should avoid this card include those who are prone to debt and tend to carry a balance from month to month since there’s a high 28.74% variable APR for both cards.
TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard vs. TJX Rewards® Credit Card
T.J.Maxx offers two cards which are nearly identical — TJX Rewards® Credit Card and then the TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard. The TJX Rewards® Credit Card is a store card, meaning you can only use it at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, and Sierra Trading Post stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and online at tjxmaxx.com or sierratradingpost.com. In comparison, the TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted, allowing you to earn points on all purchases made with your card.
You can earn a great rate on T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and Sierra Trading Post purchases with one of the TJX Rewards® cards. Here are the rewards rates for each card:
- TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard: Earn 5 points per dollar at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and Sierra Trading Post stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and online at tjxmaxx.com or sierratradingpost.com. Earn 1 point per dollar at Marshalls in Canada and everywhere else.
- TJX Rewards® Credit Card: Earn 5 points for each $1 of net purchases at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and Sierra Trading Post stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and online at tjxmaxx.com or sierratradingpost.com
For every $200 you spend, you’ll receive a $10 rewards certificate that is redeemable at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, as well as online tjxmaxx.com or sierratradingpost.com. Certificates expire two years from their date of issue.
For both cards, there is a new cardmember offer where you can receive 10% off your first online or in-store purchase.
Where this card falls short among store cards
The TJX Rewards® Credit Card and the TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard both have a high 28.74% variable APR. This is an extremely high-interest rate and can result in hefty interest charges if you carry a balance from month to month. As with all credit cards, we strongly recommend paying your balance in full by your due date to avoid interest charges and falling into debt. Try to resist the temptation to overspend just to earn rewards — that’ll only lead to trouble and negate any rewards you do earn.
Alternatives for department store shopping
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers*
15.49% - 25.49%* (Variable)
- Earn $100 cash back bonus after $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Cash back bonus is not available if you have had Citi® Double Cash card opened or closed in the past 24 months
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- No Annual Fee
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – $100 Cash Back Offer
The Citi® Double Cash Card – $100 Cash Back Offer is our top pick for a flat-rate cashback card, since cardholders can earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. That’s a great rate when compared to other cards that may only offer 1% cash back on everyday purchases. Plus, this card has a $0* annual fee and the Citi® Price Rewind feature — this allows you to register eligible items, and Citi will search for a lower price within 60 days from purchase date. If a lower price is found, you may receive the difference between the price you paid and the lower price.
Some cashback cards offer rotating 5% cashback categories that can include department stores for one quarter of the year — typically around the holiday months. While these cards can provide you a high 5% cashback rate on eligible purchases, you’ll need to remember to activate the bonus categories. Also, take note the 5% cashback rate often is limited to $1,500 of spending a quarter before the cashback rate drops to 1%.
Here are two of our favorite rotating 5% cashback cards:
Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
Any amount, any time. Cash back rewards never expire*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Cash Back
Earn a $150 Bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey?
- No annual fee
See additional details for Chase Freedom®
The TJX Rewards® Credit Card and the TJX Rewards® Platinum Mastercard are great options if you shop at one of their four stores — T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, and Sierra Trading Post. The rewards you can earn on purchases at one of those stores are unmatched by other cashback or rewards cards that lack a consistent 5% or 5 points per dollar on department store purchases.
While this card can be good for some consumers, if you typically carry a balance month to month or don’t spend at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods or Sierra Trading Post, you’ll be better off with one of the alternative cards mentioned above. Those cards have lower interest rates — ideal if you carry a balance — and more robust rewards programs.