*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 13, 2018, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
Customers the card is best for
American Express® Business Gold Card is a stand-out card for businesses that want to earn a good rate on typical business purchases and enjoy numerous benefits. The rewards for this card allow you to choose from one of five categories to earn 3X points, allowing you to choose the one that can earn you the most points. The additional card benefits are great and include ways to manage expenses, have added protection when traveling, and enjoy exclusive events. When it comes to the foreign transaction fee, there is none, making this card good for businesses that travel abroad.
This card isn’t for businesses that want to earn rewards without an annual fee. There is a $295. Check out business cards with no annual fee. Also, businesses that want to carry a balance or utilize a 0% intro period should look at other cards that offer 0% intro periods since this is a business charge card and therefore isn’t designed for businesses intending to carry a balance.
†4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*
35,000 Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
No foreign transaction fees & many helpful business tools*
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
- MORE REWARDS: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month**
- **4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*
- AIRLINE BONUS: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
- EXCLUSIVE OFFERS: Get up to 1 year free on subscriptions to both G Suite Basic for up to 3 users and ZipRecruiter Standard, a combined value up to $3,200.*
- PAY OVER TIME OPTION: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.*
- EXPENSE MANAGEMENT TOOLS: Connect to Quickbooks, access SpendManagerSM, receive a Year-End Summary, and more.*
- *Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for American Express® Business Gold Card
Where this card stands out in its category
In addition to offering a generous rewards program, this card has numerous perks, with something for every type of business. You can take advantage of exclusive entertainment access, OPEN Savings®, travel insurance, car insurance, expense management tools, and much more. See ‘Additional card benefits’ below for more detail.
Where this card falls short in its category
American Express® Business Gold Card charges a $295 which is higher than some business cards. You can find business cards with no annual fee or with lower fees. But by choosing other cards, you may lose out on the perks and good rewards program provided by American Express® Business Gold Card.
Additional card benefits*
American Express® Business Gold Card offers many additional benefits for businesses:
- Spend ManagerTM: Easily track spending and manage your card expenses by adding receipts and notes to your transactions. This can be done on your desktop or via a mobile device.
- Account Manager: Assign a trusted employee or business partner to be an Account Manager on your business card account. They can handle tasks like reviewing statements, making payments, and disputing charges on your business cards, so you’re free to focus on other aspects of your business.
- OPEN Savings®: OPEN Savings® allows your business to save on select purchases made with partners. Terms apply.
- OPEN Forum®: Access business tools and advice from industry experts and other business owners to improve your business’s operations.
- Connect to QuickBooks: You can link your account to QuickBooks for easier financial management.
- Baggage insurance plan: When you use your card to purchase a common carrier ticket (plane, train, ship or bus), you may be covered for eligible lost, damaged or stolen baggage. Terms apply.
- Global Assist® Hotline: Traveling over 100 miles from your home qualifies you for 24/7 access to numerous referrals and services — medical, legal, financial and more. You’re responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers. Terms apply.
- Premium roadside assistance: Call American Express for auto trouble, like flat tires, dead batteries or towing up to 10 miles. American Express will even pay for the emergency services (up to four times a year). Terms apply.
- Travel accident insurance: Receive coverage of up to $100,000 for accidental death and dismemberment when you travel via plane, train, ship or bus and the entire fare has been charged to your card. Terms apply.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: You may be covered for damages or a stolen car when you use your card to pay for an eligible rental. Terms apply.
- Exclusive entertainment access: American Express has various presales and exclusive events for ticket purchase. Choose Broadway shows, concert tours, family and sporting events and more. Offer valid in select cities. Terms apply.
- American Express Preferred Seating: Access to exclusive seats for entertainment numerous events. Terms apply.
*Terms and conditions apply
How to use it most effectively
To benefit the most from American Express® Business Gold Card, use it for all business spending and choose the business category that you spend the most in to earn 3X points. This can allow you to maximize your spending.
Employee cards are a great way to increase your rewards and come at no additional cost. You can set up spending limits for employee cards and even freeze and unfreeze individual cards. This is a good protection since you, as the business owner, are liable for all charges made to the account.
To earn the Welcome Offer, meet the requirements and earn more points within the first few months of account opening: N/A.
American Express® Business Gold Card offers 35,000 Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*. Choose one of the five categories to earn 3X points: airfare purchased directly from airlines; U.S. purchases for advertising in select media; U.S. purchases at gas stations; U.S. purchases for shipping; U.S. computer hardware; software; and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers.
Points can be redeemed for rewards from over 500 leading brands in travel, merchandise and entertainment, Pay with points at select online retailers or get gift cards, statement credit and more. Points can also be transferred to participating frequent-flyer programs. Note that for each conversion of points into the frequent-flyer program of a U.S. airline, a fee of $0.0006 per point, with a maximum fee of $99, will be charged to your account.
There is a Welcome Offer for new cardmembers: N/A.
Compare it with the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card and the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express are both business cards provided by American Express, but they have different features. Businesses that want to earn rewards without an annual fee will benefit from the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express which has no annual fee. American Express® Business Gold Card has a $295.
0% on Purchases for 15 months, then 14.49% - 21.49% Variable*
5% and 3% bonus cash back categories of spending*
With Expanded Buying Power you can spend beyond your credit limit*
- Special offer: save on interest with a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; after that your APR will be a variable rate, currently 14.49% - 21.49%
- No annual fee
- Reinvest in your business with automatic cash back in the form of a monthly statement credit. Plus take control by choosing the 3% category that best fits your business
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $50,000 spent at wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and U.S. office supply stores.
- Earn 3% cash back on the first $50,000 spent in the category of your choice from a list of eight and 1% cash back on other purchases
- With Expanded Buying Power you can spend beyond your credit limit* to make bigger purchases for your business plus earn cash back on those purchases too
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us, and other factors
- Terms apply
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express
When traveling abroad, American Express® Business Gold Card provides more benefits and its foreign transaction fee is None. The SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express charges 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
If your business needs to carry a balance or wants to use a 0% intro period, American Express® Business Gold Card isn’t a good choice since it doesn’t have an intro period. However, the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express offers 0% on Purchases for 15 months. Once the intro period is over, an APR of 14.49% - 21.49% Variable applies. Here’s a breakdown of the key features of each card.
|American Express® Business Gold Card||SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express|
|Annual Fee||$295||No annual fee|
|Purchase Intro Rate||N/A||0% on Purchases for 15 months|
|Balance Transfer Intro Rate||N/A||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Fee||N/A||N/A|
|Ongoing APR||16.49% - 24.49% Variable||14.49% - 21.49% Variable|
|Rewards||35,000 Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*||5% cash back on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and U.S. office supply stores, 3% cash back on the category of your choice from a list of eight, 1% cash back on other purchases. 5% and 3% apply to the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1% applies thereafter.|
|Sign Up Bonus||N/A||N/A|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None||2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.|
American Express® Business Gold Card is a great card for businesses that has a solid rewards program, earning you a higher rate in one category of your choosing. Also, the additional perks offered provide added value that has something to benefit any business.