*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Mar 17, 2020. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
If you have less-than-perfect credit and are looking for ways to improve it, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® is worth a look.
The Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® is an unsecured card, meaning you won’t be required to put down a security deposit. However, once Celtic Bank (the bank that issues this card) reviews your application, it might determine that you have to pay an annual fee ranging from $0 - $99 just to carry the card. For that reason, we’ll walk you through some other options to build your credit.
- Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® pros
- Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® cons
- Compare it with the Capital One® Secured Mastercard®
- Is the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® right for you?
Quick pre-qualification available with no impact to your credit score*
Pick from multiple card designs at no extra charge*
Account history is reported to the three major credit bureaus in the U.S.
- Easy pre-qualification process with fast response
- Don't have perfect credit? No problem!
- 24/7 access to your account, even on mobile!
- No security deposit
- Account history is reported to the three major credit bureaus in the U.S.
See additional details for Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® pros
You can check if you’re prequalified. If you got a prequalification offer by mail, you can enter your invitation number on this card’s website. If you didn’t get an offer in the mail, you can use the online tool to check if you’re prequalified; this is a soft pull, so it won’t ding your credit score. It’s important to note that being prequalified does not guarantee approval for the card.
This card can help you build credit. Your account and payment history with the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® will be reported to the three major credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
Additional Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® benefits
You get Mastercard benefits with this card, including the following:
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection. This comes with services like identity monitoring, which will alert you if your information (such as your email addresses, Social Security number, passport number, bank logins and more) is found out on the dark web.
- Mastercard Global Service. Get 24-hour, worldwide assistance with lost and stolen card reporting, emergency card replacement and emergency cash advances.
- Mastercard Airport Concierge. This benefit offers a 15% savings on Airport Meet and Greet services. And at certain airports, there’s a chance for you to be expedited through security and/or the immigration process.
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® cons
You might pay an annual fee. The Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® can charge an annual fee ranging from $0 - $99, depending on your creditworthiness. You could also be approved for this card with a $59 annual fee, or with an annual fee of $75 for the first year and $99 thereafter. The fact that you don’t know upfront whether you’ll have to pay an annual fee — and the wide range of possible annual fees that you could be saddled with — is a significant con to consider when thinking about applying for this card.
No rewards. Having to potentially pay an annual fee for a card that doesn’t offer rewards or a sign-up bonus isn’t a great deal. If you have fair/limited credit, you might want to take a look at the Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card, which charges a low $39 annual fee and lets you earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day.
Low credit limit. The credit limit for this card is $300. And if your card comes with an annual fee, that will reduce your amount of available credit — for example, if you’re charged an annual fee of $59, your initial available credit will be about $241.
The interest rate is high. This card’s APR is 24.90%, which is in line with other cards aimed at applicants with less than stellar credit. If you get the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®, you should always pay off what you charge in full each month to avoid interest charges.
There are “documentation fees.” If you request a paper statement, be prepared to pay a fee of $3 per statement. And if you ask for copies of sales tickets or other items posted to your account, that’s a $10 fee per sales ticket or other item.
Compare it with the Capital One® Secured Mastercard®
If you’re looking to rebuild from bad credit, a good card for the job is the Capital One® Secured Mastercard®. Here’s how it stacks up against the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®:
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® vs. Capital One® Secured Mastercard®
|Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®||Capital One® Secured Mastercard®|
|Credit needed||Applicants should have good/fair credit to apply.||This card is good for applicants who have limited/bad/poor credit.|
|Annual fee||$0 - $99||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||See terms.||None|
|Regular purchase APR||24.90%||26.99% (Variable)|
One key difference is that the Capital One® Secured Mastercard® is, as one can guess from the name, a secured credit card. This means cardholders are required to put down a security deposit before getting the card. However, there is a $0 annual fee.
With most secured cards, the amount of the deposit becomes your credit limit — for example, a $200 deposit would equal a $200 credit limit. Where the Capital One® Secured Mastercard® differs is that when you apply, Capital One will review your application and decide if your minimum deposit is $49, $99, or $200. You’ll get a credit limit of $200 in any case, no matter which deposit you’re qualified for.
If you don’t want to pay a deposit, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® might be a better choice. However, if you end up having to pay an annual fee for the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®, it could end up being more expensive in the long run than making a one-time deposit on the Capital One® Secured Mastercard®.
If you don’t have enough for your deposit up front, the Capital One® Secured Mastercard® allows you to pay it over time, as long as you pay the full amount within 35 days of being approved. Note that all deposits must be at least $20 and in whole dollar increments.
For those who do have $200 available to deposit right away, another excellent secured card to look at is the Discover it® Secured. It charges a $0 annual fee and earns 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
Is the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® right for you?
If you’re looking for an unsecured card to help rebuild your credit, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® isn’t a terrible option. But given this card’s unpredictable annual fee, as well as other potential fees, we think most cardholders would be better served by a secured card such as the Capital One® Secured Mastercard® or the Discover it® Secured.
2% cash back at Gas Stations and Restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically
Credit line will equal your security deposit of $200 or more*
No annual fee, no late fee on your first late payment. No penalty APR*
- No Annual Fee, earn cash back, and build your credit with responsible use.
- It's a real credit card. You can build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus. Generally, debit and prepaid cards can't help you build a credit history.
- Establish your credit line by providing a refundable security deposit of at least $200 after being approved. Bank information must be provided when submitting your deposit.
- Automatic reviews starting at 8 months to see if we can transition you to an unsecured line of credit and return your deposit.
- Earn 2% cash back at Gas Stations and Restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. Just a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Secured