*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Nov 05, 2018. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
If it’s approaching time to change your car’s tires or you need to make other costly auto service purchases and you favor the auto store Firestone, you may be tempted to open the Firestone Credit Card. This is a store card that can only be used on Firestone purchases. The main draw of this card is the special financing offer, but we recommend avoiding it if you can since it comes with a deferred interest clause.
On top of that, the Firestone Credit Card doesn’t offer cardholders many perks. While it has a $0 annual fee, this card can cost you if you carry a balance since the APR is very high at 28.80% fixed.
We’ll review the special financing offer provided by the Firestone Credit Card and provide better alternatives for your tire and auto service purchases.
Special financing offers*
The Firestone Credit Card offers one special financing offer:
- No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $149 or more. After the interest-free period, there’s a 28.80% fixed APR.
This offer may seem like a decent deal, but it’s short compared to mainstream credit cards that provide interest-free periods up to 21 months. Plus, alternative cards from the major banks may not have deferred interest, which we explain in detail next.
Watch out for deferred interest
Many store cards charge deferred interest, which means if you take advantage of a special financing option and don’t pay it in full before the promotional interest-free period ends, you will incur all the interest you would’ve been charged during the interest period.
Here are the deferred interest terms for the Firestone Credit Card:
“You will not owe us interest charges that accumulate on six month payment purchases during the delay period if we receive (a) the required minimum payment due by its payment due date for each billing cycle during the delay period and (b) the full amount of your six month payment purchases by the end of the delay period.
If we do not receive the full amount of a six month payment transaction by the end of the delay period, you will owe us interest charges that accumulated (a) on such six month payment purchases during the delay period and (b) on six month payment purchases in the prior billing cycle.”
To avoid deferred interest charges, make sure you pay your entire balance in full before the promotional interest-free period ends. Continuing to carry a balance after the special financing period defeats its purpose and may cause you to fall into debt — the interest rate is very high at 28.80% fixed APR.
The added benefits of the Firestone Credit Card are limited to exclusive monthly deals and coupons. The lack of perks is yet another reason the Firestone Credit Card isn’t a great offer.
Compare it with the Goodyear Credit Card
If you’re looking for an auto store card that provides more cardholder perks, the Goodyear Credit Card is a decent alternative.
The Goodyear Credit Card and the Firestone Credit Card both offer the same six-month interest-free period with deferred interest, but the Goodyear Credit Card requires you to spend more to qualify — $250 versus the Firestone Credit Card’s $149. Typically, special financing purchases are for high-ticket purchases, so this shouldn’t be much of a deal breaker.
The Goodyear Credit Card shines with the additional perks cardholders can benefit from, which include free tire rotation, rebate offers, oil change discounts and other offers. In comparison, the Firestone Credit Card only offers monthly deals and coupons. If you want a card that can provide you with more perks, the Goodyear Credit Card is a better option.
Here’s a breakdown of the key features of each card:
|Firestone Credit Card||Goodyear Credit Card|
|Regular Purchase APR||28.80% fixed||30.24% variable|
|Special Financing Offer||No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $149 or more.||No interest if paid in full within 6 months. Applies to purchases of $250 or more.|
Better alternative cards for financing tires and auto services
The alternative cards mentioned below provide longer intro periods than the Firestone Credit Card, no deferred interest terms and the ability to use your card on all purchases outside Firestone. Plus, some may offer rewards and other benefits.
For upcoming purchases, cards with 0% APR on purchases:
Earn a $150 Bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – it’s automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit JourneySM
See additional details for Chase Freedom®
For existing balances, a balance transfer card:
0% for 18 months on balance transfers & 0% for 6 months on purchases*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
13.99% - 24.99% Variable*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Balance Transfer
0%* for 12 months on Purchases*
0%* for 21 months on Balance Transfers*
16.74% - 26.74%* (Variable)
- No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee... Ever
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.74% - 26.74%, based on your creditworthiness
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.74% - 26.74%, based on your creditworthiness
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- The same great rate for all balances, after the introductory period
- Save time when you call with fast, personal help, 24 hours a day – just say "representative"
- Enjoy the convenience of setting up your own bill payment schedule on any available due date throughout the month
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay.
0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers
15.99% - 25.99% (Variable)
- 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 21 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.99% - 25.99% based on your creditworthiness.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.99% - 25.99% based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 21 month BT offer
While there’s a chance you can benefit from the special financing offer provided by the Firestone Credit Card, you’ll be better off with one of the alternative cards mentioned above. Unlike the Firestone Credit Card, those cards don’t have deferred interest and may even earn you rewards on your Firestone purchases while you benefit from an intro 0% APR period.
*Terms and conditions apply. This offer and/or promotion may have since changed, expired, or is no longer available.