*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Nov 06, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
If you’ve ever had an item break after the warranty expires, you know the pain and expense involved in getting it repaired or having to purchase a replacement. However, if you used a select credit card to buy the item, you may receive an extended warranty and up to $50,000 in coverage.
Extended warranty protection is just one of several protection benefits that some credit cards offer at no additional cost. It can come in handy after your product warranty expires by extending the warranty by one or two years. Keep in mind, coverage provided by your credit card is secondary to any service contract or extended warranty that is offered by the manufacturer.
When an extended warranty claim is approved, your card issuer may have the product repaired or replaced, or you may be reimbursed up to the amount of the item purchased. The exact terms for extended warranty protection vary by issuer, so you should familiarize yourself with what’s covered and how much you may be covered for before filing a claim.
Here, we’ll review the extended warranty terms provided by major issuers, exclusions and how to file a claim.
Extended warranty by issuer
In the past year, many issuers have reduced additional card benefits, such as extended warranty and return and purchase protections. Some, like Discover, completely removed the benefits altogether. However, there are still some issuers that provide extended warranty protection. If you’re in the market for a large-ticket item, such as an appliance or electronics, choosing to purchase that item with a credit card that has extended warranty coverage can be a good idea.
Here are the extended warranty terms for major card issuers:
|Issuer||Maximum coverage per item||Maximum coverage per calendar year per account||Fine print|
|American Express®||$10,000||$50,000||Up to 1 extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less.|
|Bank of America®||Not specified||Not specified||Up to 1 extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 3 years or less.|
|Barclays||$10,000||Not specified||Up to 2 extra years added to the original manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 2 years or less.|
|Capital One®||$10,000||$50,000||Up to 1 extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Depending on if you have a Visa or Mastercard, this benefit applies to warranties of 1-3 years or less.|
|Chase||$10,000||$50,000||Up to 1 extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 3 years or less.|
|Citi®||$10,000||Not specified||Up to 2 extra years added to the original manufacturer’s warranty, not to exceed 7 years from the original purchase date.|
Popular American Express cards with extended warranty:
35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.*
Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
Up to $100 per year for incidentals*
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for American Express® Gold Card
60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.*
Up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees & more at one qualifying airline*
No foreign transaction fees & exclusive airport lounge access*
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for The Platinum Card® from American Express
Popular Barclays cards with extended warranty:
Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard®
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®
Popular Chase cards with extended warranty:
Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Popular Citi cards with extended warranty:
Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations, Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment, Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on travel including gas stations
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent at restaurants and on entertainment
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- 60,000 Points are redeemable for $750 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
See additional details for Citi Premier℠ Card
What are the exclusions?
Extended warranties set several limitations beyond maximum coverage per year and the amount of time that can be added to your eligible warranty — there are also numerous items that are excluded from coverage. Most items that are excluded, such as pets and beauty products, aren’t ones that come with warranties to begin with. Also, shipping and handling costs won’t be reimbursed.
Here are the common items that don’t qualify for purchase protection:
- Motorized vehicles (cars, boats, motorcycles) and their attached parts (including tires)
- Computer software or any type of video, digital, or audio discs or tapes, including video games
- Collectable, one-of-a-kind, custom-built, and limited edition items (antiques, coins, furs, art, sports memorabilia, stamps, for example)
- Services and additional costs (installation charges, warranties, memberships)
- Items that can spoil or are consumable and need to be replaced after they have been used for a period of time (food, fuel, batteries, medications, beauty products or personal care products)
- Living plants
In addition to excluded items, certain types of circumstances that caused the damage are often excluded:
- Natural disaster
- Acts of war, civil disturbance
- Power surge
- Product recall
- Fraud, abuse or illegal activity
How to file a claim
You have several ways to file an extended warranty claim: calling your bank, submitting a claim form online or mailing a claim form. When filing a claim, you’ll need the original receipt, original manufacturer’s warranty, and damaged product. Your card issuer may also request additional documentation, such as a repair estimate.
- American Express: 1-800-225-3750 or visit AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim
- Bank of America: 1-800-Mastercard for Mastercards and 1-800-551-8472 for Visa cards
- Barclays: 1-800-Mastercard or visit MyCardBenefits.com
- Capital One: 1-800-MC-ASSIST for Mastercards and 1-800-551-8472 for Visa cards
- Chase: 1-800-874-7702 or visit eclaimsline.com
- Citi: 1-866-918-4670 or visit cardbenefits.citi.com
Can I keep the item after I file a claim?
Not likely — your card issuer may require you to ship the eligible item to a specific location where it’ll be inspected. Your card issuer will provide reimbursement for the shipping cost.
The information related to Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever has been independently collected by CompareCards and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.