*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Jan 30, 2020. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
For people who fly frequently, an airport lounge can make the experience so much more enjoyable. Delta Sky Club members get to enjoy 50 lounge locations across the U.S. at major airports including Washington-Reagan International, Dallas Fort-Worth International, San Francisco International, Newark Liberty International, Miami International, Denver, Chicago-O’Hare International, and more.
Instead of waiting in a cramped area with people fighting for the only outlet and paying for overpriced muffins, you can relax in a private space with plenty of places to plug in, with complimentary Wi-Fi, fresh food selections, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages. For business travelers, there are also dataports, fax machines and Ricoh HotSpot Printers in some Sky Club locations; others even have shower facilities.
For Delta Medallion status members with Gold or higher, you can also access 250 partner and third-party business lounges worldwide.
Once you have Delta Sky Club membership, the only main requirement to enter is that you need to be traveling with a same-day ticket on Delta.
Delta Sky Clubs are more popular than ever with many ways to gain access. But not all entry points are heavily advertised by Delta. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you decide the most cost-effective way to get into the clubs for your situation.
Which credit cards give you free access to Delta Sky Club?
One of the easiest ways to gain access to the Delta Sky Club is to open a credit card that offers it as a main benefit. There are two options from American Express, both with hefty annual fees. However, depending on your travel style, the benefits may outweigh the costs. Terms apply to American Express credit card offers. See americanexpress.com for more information.
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
40,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
NEW! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases. Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- NEW! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 MQMs after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- NEW! Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- NEW! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when travelling on a Delta flight.
- NEW! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
If you’re a Delta loyalist, you can get a lot of value out of this high-end credit card. There’s a $550 annual fee, but you’ll get access to all Delta Sky Clubs when you travel on a Delta flight (though it does not include access to partner lounges the way Medallion status does).
The card launched a limited-time welcome bonus on Jan. 30, 2020: 40,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
Plus, you can earn up to 60,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) via Status Boost. Earn 15,000 MQMs after spending $30,000 in a calendar year on the card. If in that same calendar year you make purchases of $60,000, $90,000 or $120,000 or more, you will receive and extra 15,000 MQMs for each threhold you meet.
The card also offers an elevated rewards rate on Delta purchases. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases. Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
Other key benefits:
- When you renew your card each year, you’ll receive a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights booked with your card, worth $60, on a round-trip Delta flight per person.
- Priority boarding and in-flight savings.
To see rates & fees for Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card please click here.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.*
Up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees & more at one qualifying airline*
No foreign transaction fees & exclusive airport lounge access*
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for The Platinum Card® from American Express
If you do a lot of travel, but not always on Delta, The Platinum Card® from American Express might be a better fit. It has a $550 annual fee, but includes a long list of travel perks, one of which is entry to all Delta Sky Clubs (and you can bring guests for an extra $39 each) and additional lounges within the network. You must be flying on a Delta flight to qualify. Not only will you get Delta Sky Club access, though, but you can visit any of the 1,200-plus locations included in the American Express Global Lounge Collection.
The welcome offer lets you earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. You’ll also get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5X Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
Other key benefits:
- Get a $200 annual airline fee credit (you pick the airline), which you can use toward baggage fees, change fees or other incidentals.
- Cardholders get $15 in Uber Cash for U.S. rides every month (and $20 in December), which can help you get to and from the airport.
To see rates & fees for The Platinum Card® from American Express please click here.
How to get access without a credit card
If you aren’t interested in either of the above credit cards, you can still get Delta Sky Club access in a few different ways.
Single entry. Delta used to have a single entry pass for a rate of $59 per person, but they eliminated this as of 2019. However, if you have the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card or Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, you still can pay $39 per person per visit.
Individual membership. Membership costs $545 or 54,500 SkyMiles®. Guests pay an additional $39 each per Sky Club visit.
Executive membership. Executive membership costs $845 or 840,500 SkyMiles®. This gives you all of the Individual Membership benefits plus the ability to bring two guests at no additional charge for each visit. Diamond Medallion members may also select this as part of their ‘Choice Benefits,’ but it will cost you two choice benefits.
Diamond Medallion status. This status comes at no cost if you fly 125,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) per year on Delta. One of its Choice Benefits is Individual Membership to the Sky Club with the privileges noted above. You can also get Executive Membership if you use two of your Choice Benefits.
Gold Medallion or above status. No cost for international trips. If you are a Delta Gold Medallion (not to be confused with having the Gold Delta SkyMiles card) or higher member in SkyMiles®, you and a guest can access the SkyTeam lounges when traveling on an international SkyTeam carrier itinerary.
To see rates & fees for Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card please click here.
To see rates & fees for Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card please click here.
Delta Sky Club access is one of those benefits that you didn’t know you needed until you had it. Knowing you have a place to relax, refresh and recharge before or between flights makes flying frequently more enjoyable, and even productive. Of course, that comfort comes at a price. Consider if one of the American Express cards is a good fit for you since the complimentary Delta Sky Club access in and of itself is worth just about as much as the annual fees on those cards. If you can maximize the other perks on either of those cards, it can be a smart move. If not, you might still consider buying a membership if that sort of VIP privilege is worth it to you, or you can choose it as a perk if you’re a Diamond Medallion member.