*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Dec 11, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Savvy travelers know that expedited screening programs Global Entry and TSA Precheck help improve the passenger experience on the ground, thanks to separate security lines that require less scrutiny. If you have the right credit card in your wallet, those programs’ enrollment fees can be covered.
Global Entry program members can skip long Customs and Border Protection lines after arriving in the U.S. from an international trip. Plus, it comes with automatic access to TSA Precheck, which covers domestic security screening. Enrollment fees are $100 for Global Entry and $85 for TSA Precheck for five-year memberships.
We reviewed 10 credit cards that cover the enrollment fee for the program of your choice and share some of the other travel perks available.
This card has a $95 annual fee. Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases, 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases, Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections, Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption provides reimbursement of up to $5,000 per person, per trip, for the unused prepaid non-refundable travel expenses including passenger fares, tours, and hotels if you have to cancel due to a covered reason. Another way to redeem your points is to buy travel (air, car and hotel) through the Bank of America® Travel Center.
Travel benefits include trip delay and cancellation reimbursement, baggage delay and lost luggage insurance, travel accident insurance, auto collision and damage waiver, and emergency evacuation and transportation coverage.
The annual fee for this card is $0 intro for first year; $95 after that. Earn a flat 2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day. Use them to pay for travel booked at capitalone.com or on the app of any airline, hotel, rental car and more using the Purchase Eraser feature, which gives you an account credit for what you spend. You can also book travel directly with your miles at capitalone.com or redeem them for a check, a statement credit or gift cards. As of December 2018, you can transfer your miles to 14 airline partners.
Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Reserve®
This luxury card — with its $550 annual fee — lets cardmembers earn 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. When using those points for travel at the Chase Ultimate Rewards® website, you’ll get 50% more value.
The card comes with a $300 annual travel credit that covers airline tickets/fees, ride-share companies, public transportation, tolls, car rentals, lodging and cruises. It also comes with a free Priority Pass™ Select airport lounge membership.
Transfer points 1:1 to nine airline and three hotel loyalty programs. The card offers strong travel perks, including trip delay and cancellation insurance, travel accident insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, trip delay reimbursement, emergency evacuation and transportation, and rental car insurance and discounts.
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases & 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for up to two guests or immediate family members traveling with you
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.99% - 24.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
See additional details for Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
This $450 annual fee luxury card allows cardmembers to Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases & 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases. There’s also a way to earn Elite Qualifying Miles to maintain your premium status on American Airlines.
A great benefit of airline-branded cards are perks that make travel go more smoothly. This one comes with a free checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights and priority check-in, airport screening and boarding for you and up to eight companions on the same reservation. There’s also a free Admirals Club airport lounge membership that covers the cardholder and up to two guests or immediate family.
Citi will be upgrading this luxury card in January 2019. Existing cardholders will see a major boost in points per dollar spent, at 5X points on air travel & restaurants, 3x points on cruise lines & hotels, and 1x points on all other purchases. Items now covered under travel include airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies/travel aggregators/tour operators, commuter transportation, ferries, commuter railways, subways, taxis/limousines/car services, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages and bus lines.
The card will also come with a $250 annual credit for any travel-related purchases, the ability to transfer points to 15 airline loyalty programs and access to the Citi Prestige Concierge. There’s also free access to more than 1,000 Priority Pass™ Select airport lounges, along with travel and emergency assistance, trip cancellation and interruption protection, and trip delay protection.
This card, with its $89 annual fee, allows cardmembers to Earn 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. It comes with instant platinum elite IHG® Rewards Club member status and perks including a dedicated customer assistance phone number, free room upgrades when available, priority check-in and extended checkout and free Wi-Fi.
Transfer points into miles on 39 global airlines or use them to book flights, hotels and rental cars. And enjoy access to trip cancellation/interruption insurance and lost luggage reimbursement.
7. Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card
While this $95 annual fee card doesn’t offer a credit for TSA Precheck, you can redeem 25,000 Marriott Rewards points to cover the enrollment fee.
Earn 6X points for every $1 spent at over 6,500 participating Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels and 2X points everywhere else. The card comes with automatic silver elite status with benefits including a 10% points bonus, late check-out and a dedicated reservation line.
Transfer your points to more than 40 airlines and get 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles. Perks include baggage delay insurance, lost luggage and trip delay insurance and access to the Visa Concierge.
60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.*
Up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees & more at one qualifying airline*
No foreign transaction fees & exclusive airport lounge access*
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for The Platinum Card® from American Express
The travel credits and perks that come with this luxury card justify its $550 annual fee. Cardmembers earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5X Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
The card comes with $200 in Uber credits and $200 to cover airline fees on the carrier of your choice. There’s also automatic Hilton Honors gold and SPG gold elite status. Hilton Honors gold comes with an 80% points bonus, no resort fees, late checkout, fifth standard award night free, space-available room upgrades and free breakfast daily. SPG gold elite gives you a 25% points bonus, an automatic enhanced room at check-in when available, late checkout, a dedicated customer service line and free enhanced in-room Wi-Fi.
Membership Rewards points earned on the card can be transferred to 18 airline or three hotel loyalty programs. There’s also free access to airport lounges, including Centurion Lounge, international American Express lounges, Delta Sky Club, Priority Pass™ Select, Airspace and Escape. And the card comes with car rental loss and damage insurance, and access to the Platinum concierge.
To see rates & fees for The Platinum Card® from American Express please click here.
Cardmembers holding this $450 annual fee luxury card earn Earn 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines, and 2X on all other eligible purchases.. Transfer those points to more than 40 global airlines.
Get up to $300 in statement credits every year that can be used at more than 6,700 participating SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels. Cardmembers receive automatic SPG gold elite status that comes with a 25% points bonus, an automatic enhanced room at check-in when available, late checkout, a dedicated customer service line and free enhanced in-room Wi-Fi. And it comes with a Priority Pass™ Select airport lounge membership, giving you and two guests free access to more than 1,200 airport lounges worldwide.
United Airlines made major upgrades to this card in September 2018 that added a Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment credit. It also boosted miles per dollar spent in top categories where you now Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, on hotel stays and on purchases from United. 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
The card, with its $0 Intro for First Year, then $95 annual fee, comes with the airline perks you’d expect, including a free checked bag and priority boarding for the cardholder and one companion traveling on the same reservation, and two free United Club airport lounge passes.
Other perks include trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance, trip delay reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, auto rental collision damage waiver and Visa Concierge. There’s also a 25% discount on in-flight food and beverage and Wi-Fi purchases.
The information related to the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card has been independently collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. Terms apply to American Express credit card offers. See americanexpress.com for more information.