*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Jul 31, 2018. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Who it’s best for
The Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever is a great option if you need to make a plan to get rid of your overwhelming credit card debt or have a tendency to miss your payment due date. This card has simple terms and boasts “no late fees, no penalty rate and no annual fee — ever.” Missing credit card payments isn’t a good habit to get into, but at least you know you won’t have to pay extra if you slip up. This card can also benefit someone who wants to transfer a balance from an existing credit card or finance a large purchase. The long 0% intro APR period — 0% for 12 months on purchases and 0% for 21 months on balance transfers (16.24% - 26.24% (Variable), after) offers nearly two years for you to pay off your debt without interest charges. You may qualify for this card with excellent/good credit, which is nice because most balance transfer cards require excellent credit.
0% for 12 months on Purchases
0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers
16.24% - 26.24% (Variable)
- No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee... Ever
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
- Stay protected with Citi® Quick Lock and $0 liability on unauthorized charges
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
This card is designed for people who want to transfer an existing balance or finance a large purchase. If you’re someone with poor credit or someone who wants to earn rewards or cash back, this card isn’t for you. Instead, consider a card that can earn you rewards, like the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer. Or, if your credit is the issue, consider other options like a personal loan if you need to finance a large purchase or consolidate credit card debt.
Where this card stands out in its category
The Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever is a leader among balance transfer cards with a $0 annual fee and an intro period of 0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers. After the promo period ends, the APR goes to 16.24% - 26.24% (Variable). Citi highlights this card’s policy of no late fees and no penalty rate, which is unheard of for balance transfer cards. If you’re accumulating interest on an existing credit card with a high APR and are looking to transfer your balance, this card offers one of the longest intro periods for you to pay off your debt. Although this card lacks a rewards program, you will enjoy great additional card benefits, which we cover below.
Where this card falls short in its category
This card charges a balance transfer fee of 5% of each balance transfer; $5 minimum, and even though this is typical of balance transfer cards, there are some cards without transfer fees. While using a card without a fee can save you more money, you may have to settle for a shorter intro period, meaning you have less time to take advantage of the 0% intro APR offer.
Additional card benefits
The Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever offers many benefits on top of its great balance transfer offer:
- Citi® Identity Theft Solutions: You can contact a Citi® Identity Theft Solution Specialist to assist you with identifying compromised accounts and advise you on filing police reports and taking steps to recover from identity theft.
- 24/7 customer service: Get help with almost any account question by calling the customer service number on the back of your card and speaking with a representative at any time.
- Choose your Payment Due Date: Have the flexibility to change your due date to a day that works for you. There are select available due dates in the beginning, middle or end of the month. Keep in mind not all dates are available and it may take up to two billing cycles to process your request. You can only change your due date twice a year.
- Apple Pay®: Simply pay for items with Apple Pay® at over 200,000 stores, or with your phone.
How to use this card most effectively
To reap the full benefits of this card, be sure to transfer your balance within four months from account opening so you don’t miss out on the intro offer. And if you plan on financing a large purchase, do it as soon as possible to enjoy the intro period. Remember, you will be charged an APR of 16.24% - 26.24% (Variable) once the intro period ends. To effectively rid yourself of debt, make sure you budget to pay off your balance before the end of the intro period. This will allow you to save money by avoiding interest charges.
How to do a balance transfer with Citibank
A balance transfer with the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever cannot exceed your available credit limit. This includes the total amount of your balance transfer plus balance transfer fees. For example, if your credit limit is $10,000, your transfer cannot exceed $9,500 because there would be a $500 balance transfer fee. You must complete your transfer within four months of opening the account to take advantage of the 0% intro period.
To complete your balance transfer online, you should see a link in your account dashboard stating you’re eligible for a balance transfer in the same box as your account summary. Select “View Offer” to see your balance transfer offer. Then once you “Select Offer,” proceed to enter your transfer information and verify and submit your transfer. The balance transfer can take at least 14 days to process, so continue to make payments on your other account until the transfer is complete. Your pending transfer will be listed in the “Your Balance Transfer Requests” section, along with the current status of your request. Once your balance transfer request has been approved and fully processed, it will move to the “Your Balance Transfer” section, where you will see the amount you transferred and when the promotional rate will expire.
Compare it with the Chase Slate® credit card
Depending on your circumstances, you may benefit more from the Chase Slate® credit card than the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever. The Chase Slate® credit card has an Intro $0 on transfers made within 60 days of account opening. After that: Either $5 or 5%, whichever is greater. As the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever charges a balance transfer fee, you could save money with Chase Slate®.
A downside to the Chase Slate® credit card is its shorter intro period, which gives you less time to pay off your debt. This card may be a better option for you if you want to avoid a balance transfer fee and have the ability to pay off your balance in a shorter period of time. See below for a breakdown of the key elements of both cards.
The information related to the Chase Slate® has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
|Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever||Chase Slate®|
|Balance Transfer Terms||0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers||0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months|
|Balance Transfer Fee||5% of each balance transfer; $5 minimum||Intro $0 on transfers made within 60 days of account opening. After that: Either $5 or 5%, whichever is greater.|
|Ongoing APR||16.24% - 26.24% (Variable)||17.24% - 25.99% Variable|
|Transfer Period||Four months from account opening||60 days from account opening|
For people struggling with debt and managing payments, it’s tough to beat the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever. This card can save you a significant amount of money by avoiding interest payments during the lengthy intro period and help you get rid of your credit card debt — as long as you pay your debt in full before the intro period ends.
605 Total Ratings