*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 28, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
We currently rate the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card one of the best credit cards for airline miles because of its point transfer feature and benefits package.
Here is a comprehensive list of benefits — large and small — associated with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. We compiled some of the information directly from Chase Bank, but the terms are subject to change and can vary depending on your particular account.
80,000 bonus points
2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
For the latest details on benefits and before making any decisions based on the coverage, call Chase using the number on the back of your card for verification.
One of the best things about this card is that it earns Chase Ultimate Rewards® points. These points have an additional 25% value when redeemed for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal — and if you use another card that earns Ultimate Rewards points, such as the Chase Freedom®, you can transfer them to your Sapphire card.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card does NOT offer lounge access, however. If you’re looking for information about the more expensive Chase Sapphire Reserve®, which does include lounge access as well as other perks, check out our post comparing both Sapphire cards.
$0 foreign transaction fee. There’s a $0 fee on purchases made outside the United States.
$500 trip delay reimbursement. If your trip is delayed by 12 hours or more, you could be eligible for reimbursement of up to $500 per purchased ticket for things like lodging and meals. You must purchase the ticket using your card for the benefit, either in part or in full, to be eligible.
$100 baggage delay coverage. If your baggage is delayed more than 6 hours, you could get up to $100 per day in reimbursement for up to five days to help cover buying replacement clothing, toiletries, and charging cables while you wait for your bags. You need to buy your ticket in part or in full with your card, and tickets purchased with reward points or miles from a program that Chase has a relationship with (like the transfer partners of the Ultimate Rewards® program) are eligible for coverage.
$500,000 travel accident insurance. You can get up to $500,000 in loss of life coverage when you charge your common carrier fare to your card, or use rewards points from a program that Chase sponsors.
Trip cancellation insurance. You can be reimbursed up to $10,000 total per covered trip if you must cancel prepaid, nonrefundable travel arrangements you made with the card due to serious illness, death or injury to you, your spouse, traveling companion, or immediate family. Weather that prevents you from prudently making the trip, jury duty and military orders are also covered reasons for canceling a trip.
Trip interruption insurance. If your trip can’t begin or continue due to a covered reason, you can get reimbursed up to $10,000 total per covered trip for nonrefundable transportation that you missed. You and your immediate family are covered, and you don’t have to be traveling, so tickets you purchase for immediate family qualify for coverage.
Covered reasons include severe illness, injury or death of an immediate family member, your traveling companion or one of your traveling companion’s immediate family members. They also include jury duty, military orders and severe weather that prevents you from beginning or continuing a trip.
Car rental collision damage waiver. This benefit offers primary coverage for physical damage or theft to a vehicle, valid loss of use charges, and reasonable towing charges. It includes economy through luxury class vehicles, vans that carry eight or fewer passengers and SUVs. Cars considered “expensive or exotic” are excluded from coverage. U-Haul and rental trucks are NOT covered by the insurance.
You can use this benefit in the U.S. and most foreign countries. You can’t use it where coverage is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the rental agreement. It’s a good idea to call the number on the back of your card and request a “proof of coverage” document to present to your car rental company if you’re renting outside the U.S.
Roadside assistance. This is not free for cardmembers. Instead, 24-hour roadside assistance including limited towing, lost key, and gas replacement is available for $69.95 per service call.
Lost luggage reimbursement. When your luggage is lost by your carrier, you could be eligible to receive reimbursement for your checked luggage, carry-on luggage and contents for up to $3,000 per person per trip. You and your immediate family are covered. Jewelry, watches and electronic equipment are limited to $500 in coverage.
Hotel upgrades, free breakfast and more. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a Visa Signature® card, and the Visa Signature® Hotel Collection includes hundreds of upscale hotels offering room upgrades, free continental breakfast and 3 p.m. late checkout when you use the card and when available. Details are available at visasignaturehotels.com. You can also access Chase’s Luxury Hotels and Resorts collection with additional benefits at lhrcollection.com.
2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. Dining purchases include fast food and fine dining. Eligible travel purchases include airlines, airports, car rental agencies (including truck, trailer, and RV), cruise ships, hotels and motels, timeshares, local and commuter transportation (including trains, buses, taxis/limos, ferries, bridges, tolls and parking) and travel agencies.
Transfer points to partners. Ultimate Rewards points held by Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card members can be transferred 1:1 to mileage accounts of the following travel partners: United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, British Airways, Emirates, Korean Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Hyatt, Marriott and IHG® Rewards. Transfers are instant for some partners, and you can transfer points to yourself or anyone in your household who is an authorized user of your card.
Check out this guide on how to transfer your Chase points.
25% more value in travel redemption when you redeem through Ultimate Rewards. Points have 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises. So for example, when each point is worth $0.0125, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
Buy merchandise with points. Thousands of popular items are available through UltimateRewards.com.
Use points for statement credits. Purchases made within the last 60 days are eligible for statement credit using points.
Use mix of points and cash for travel purchases. When you book travel at UltimateRewards.com, you can use as many or as few points as you wish toward the cost of the travel. Points are worth $0.0125 each — or 40,000 points for a $500 travel credit on UltimateRewards.com. Choose any flight, at any time with no restrictions.
Cash back. Convert points to cash at a rate of $10 for every 1,000 points.
Gift cards. Most available gift cards can be obtained at a rate of $1 per 100 points — with minimums of 500-10,000 points to redeem.
Gift card retailers include Amazon, American Eagle, Applebees, Avis, Banana Republic, Barnes and Noble, Bath and Body Works, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Best Western, Bloomingdales, BP, Brooks Brothers, Budget, Cabela’s, California Pizza Kitchen, Carnival, Continental Airlines, CVS, Dave and Busters, Dunkin Donuts, Exxon, Fairmont, Foot Locker, Gap, Hammaker Schlemmer, Hertz, Hyatt, iTunes, JCPenney, Kmart, Kohl’s, Lands End, Lowes, Marriott, Mortons, Nordstrom, Office Depot, Old Navy, Outback, PF Chang’s, Panera, Pier 1, Pottery Barn, Regal, Roy’s, Royal Caribbean, Ruth’s Chris, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sears, SeaWorld, Sephora, Shell, SpaFinder, Starbucks, Sunglass Hut, TGI Fridays, TJ Maxx, Talbots, Target, The Home Depot, The Ritz Carlton, Tourneau, Toys R Us, Universal Orlando, Walmart, Williams Sonoma.
Combine points. You can combine points earned on your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card with those in any other Chase account that accrue Chase Ultimate Rewards points. This includes accounts in your name as well as those in the name of a spouse or domestic partner. There is no fee for the transfer.
Points do not expire. As long as your account is not delinquent and is active, your points will not expire.
Purchase protection. If an item you purchase in the U.S. using your card or rewards points is stolen, damaged, or otherwise involuntarily lost within 120 days of purchasing it, you could be reimbursed up to $500. The reimbursement is up to the actual cost to replace or repair your purchase, or the $500 limit, whichever is less. If you have personal insurance, such as renter, homeowner, or auto coverage, that can be applied, you’ll need to file a claim with your insurance company before receiving this benefit.
Extended warranty. U.S. warranties of three years or less can be extended up to one additional year when you use your card to make the purchase. You can get reimbursed a maximum of $10,000 per claim.
Free wine tasting. Over 50 wineries in Sonoma County offer perks such as buy-one-get-one-free wine tastings (on tastings of equal or lesser value to what you purchase) and discounts on wine purchased in person at the winery.
Discounts and free shipping. Many online merchants offer special discounts and shipping offers for Visa Signature cardholders.
The bottom line
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers excellent value for its $95 annual fee. In addition to being part of the Chase Ultimate Rewards ecosystem and giving you extra value when you redeem points for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal, this card comes with a slew of travel protections and other perks.
If you travel more frequently, you may get more value out of the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, despite its $550 annual fee. But the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a solid choice, especially when paired with another card like the Chase Freedom® or Chase Freedom Unlimited® that earns Ultimate Rewards points you can transfer to the Sapphire.
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
$300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
See additional details for Chase Sapphire Reserve®
0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases
Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
14.99% - 23.74% Variable
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
- No annual fee
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, then a variable APR of 14.99 - 23.74%.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
See additional details for Chase Freedom Unlimited®
The information related to the Chase Freedom® has been independently collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.