*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Oct 02, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
The Chase Freedom® and the Chase Freedom Unlimited® are ideal credit card options if you want to earn a generous amount of cash back in a short period of time.
The Chase Freedom® currently lets cardholders earn a $150 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months. Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® offers $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
In this post:
Chase Freedom® and Chase Freedom Unlimited® rewards will not expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
In this post, we’ll break down the current offers for the Chase Freedom® and Chase Freedom Unlimited® cards, including if you qualify for the sign-up bonuses, how to use the bonuses and additional ways to earn bonus points.
0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases
$150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
14.99% to 23.74% Variable
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, then a variable APR of 14.99 - 23.74%.
- No annual fee
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
See additional details for Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Are you eligible?
If you are a current Chase Freedom® or Chase Freedom Unlimited® card member, or if you have received a new cardmember bonus for the card within the past 24 months, you will not be eligible to receive the current sign-up bonus for that card.
Additionally, Chase’s unwritten “5/24 rule” prevents you from being approved for a new Chase card if you have opened five personal credit cards (from any issuer) within the past 24 months.
How can you use your sign-up bonus?
Chase Freedom® and Chase Freedom Unlimited® rewards are tracked in the form of points. Each dollar you earn in cashback rewards is worth 100 points. This means that the sign-up bonus for the Chase Freedom® card is equivalent to 15,000 points. If you max out the Chase Freedom Unlimited® card’s sign-up bonus by spending $20,000, you can earn $600 in the first year, which is equal to 6,000 points.
Points can be redeemed in a variety of ways, including:
- Cash You can redeem points for cash via an account statement credit or an electronic deposit into an eligible savings account in a U.S. financial institution. To request cash, visit chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch.
- Gift cards Rewards can be redeemed for gift cards or gift certificates at participating merchants through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Travel Points can be redeemed for available airline tickets, hotel stays, car rentals, activities and cruises. To redeem points for travel, visit chase.com/ultimaterewards or call the Chase travel Center at 866-951-6592. Note, when you book travel through the travel center, you may incur a service fee of up to $20 per transaction. If you don’t have enough points to cover your purchase, you can charge the remaining amount to your credit card.
- Pay with points through Chase Pay You can use points to cover all or part of your purchases at participating Chase Pay merchants.
- Products and services Chase also may give you the opportunity to use your points to pay for products or services from third party merchants.
Check out the best ways to redeem Chase points with our Chase Ultimate Rewards Program Guide.
You can get even more value from your Chase Freedom® or Chase Freedom Unlimited® points by transferring them to a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve® card.
When you redeem your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you will get 25% more value from those points. If you redeem Chase Sapphire Reserve® points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you will receive 50% more value in rewards.
Other ways to earn rewards
In addition to the sign-up bonuses, the Chase Freedom® and Chase Freedom Unlimited® cards offer cash back on every purchase. With the Chase Freedom Unlimited® card, once the sign-up bonus has been met, cardholders Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
With the Chase Freedom® card, members earn bonus cash back on categories that rotate quarterly. Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months. Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
During the fourth quarter of 2019, the bonus categories include department stores, PayPal and Chase Pay. See which purchases qualify for the 5% bonus below.
What is included in the department stores category?
This category includes purchases made at a variety of department stores, such as Bloomingdales, Macys, Sears, Neiman Marcus, Stein Mart and much more. Purchases made at supercenters, discount stores and specialty stores, including Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx, electronic stores, do not qualify for the higher bonus.
Check out the full list of qualifying department store merchants.
What is included in the PayPal category?
Transactions made using your card with PayPal for purchases or sending money qualify for the PayPal category.
What is included in the Chase Pay category?
Purchases made using your card with your Chase Pay digital wallet during checkout qualify for this bonus category.
Credit card referral bonuses
You can also earn bonus cash back – up to $500 per year – when you invite friends to apply for a Chase Freedom® or Chase Freedom Unlimited® card. You can receive $50 cash back for each friend who is approved for the Chase Freedom® card, up to 10 referrals per year. You can earn $100 per friend who is approved for the Chase Freedom Unlimited® card, up to five referrals per year.
The bottom line
If you want to earn a generous amount of cash back, the Chase Freedom® and Chase Freedom Unlimited® cards are both great options. But instead of choosing between the two, you may want to opt for both. That way, you can maximize your earning potential by using the Chase Freedom® card to earn the 5% cashback rate in bonus categories each quarter, and use the Chase Freedom Unlimited® card on everything else to earn a Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
The information related to these Chase Freedom® have been independently collected by CompareCards and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.