*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 13, 2018. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Customers this card is best for
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business is a great card for businesses that frequently travel and want to earn a high rate on all purchases. Businesses that want to earn miles will benefit from this card and the multiple ways to redeem miles for travel and other options. Compared to other business travel cards on CompareCards, this card offers the highest flat-rate miles program.
This card isn’t ideal for businesses that don’t want to pay an annual fee since you will be charged $0 intro for first year; $95 after that. Also, if your business wants to take advantage of a 0% intro period, this card isn’t a good choice since there is no intro APR period. Check out 0% intro APR business cards that allow you to carry a balance without accruing interest for a certain time.
Where this card stands out in its category
This card has a great variety of perks beyond its rewards program. Your business can take advantage of downloadable purchase records to facilitate expenses, the Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection for booking hotel stays, shopping discounts and more. All of these features (and many more listed below) are sure to add value to the Capital One Spark Miles for Business.
Where this card falls short in its category
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business has an annual fee of $0 intro for first year; $95 after that. Although there are many travel business cards that have annual fees, you can find cards without annual fees. This card doesn’t offer a 0% intro APR period unlike some other business cards. Therefore this card isn’t ideal for businesses who want to make purchases and carry a balance, since you’ll be charged an APR of 20.99% (Variable).
Additional card benefits
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business offers numerous additional benefits:
- Quarterly and year-end summaries: When it comes to planning, budgeting or taxes, the summaries provided are a hassle-free way to monitor and organize spending.
- Visa® SavingsEdge: Receive savings of up to 15% at select merchants.
- Downloadable purchase records: If your business uses Quicken®, QuickBooksTM or Excel®, you can easily download purchase records to these formats for simplified accounting.
- Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection: Receive top-notch benefits with the Visa Signature® Luxury Hotel Collection — over 900 properties to choose from.
- Roadside dispatch: Stuck on the side of the road? Receive towing and locksmith referral services while in the U.S. and Canada, available anytime.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Damages due to collision or theft are covered when you rent an eligible car with your card.
- Travel and emergency assistance: When you travel, access 24/7 benefits from ticket replacement to legal or medical referrals.
- Visa Signature® Concierge service: Easily find tickets, book travel or reservations, and more by calling the Visa Signature Concierge 24/7.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: Checked or carry-on luggage is covered up to $3,000 if it is lost or stolen. This applies to tickets that are charged to your card.
- Travel accident insurance: Accidental death or dismemberment is covered at no additional cost when your travel fare is purchased with your card.
- Fine Wine & Food: This feature allows you to access exclusive dining and wine experiences from tastings to discounts.
- Various discounts: You can get special shopping discounts at a variety of retailers on items like electronics, as well as access to sporting events.
*Certain restrictions, limitations, and exclusions apply. For questions or assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: call the toll-free number on the back of your Visa Signature Business card.
How to use it most effectively
To gain the most value from the Capital One Spark Miles for Business, use it for all purchases so you accrue the most miles possible. You can add employee cards at no additional cost and earn points on their purchases as well. Remember that as the business owner, you are personally liable for all charges made on your account.
This card is great to book travel and use when abroad. There are two ways to redeem miles for travel (explained in the ‘Rewards breakdown’ below). Also, since there is no foreign transaction fee, you save on the 3 – 5 percent transaction fee some other cards charge.
There is a signup bonus that allows you to earn more rewards within the first few months of account opening: Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles – equal to $500 in travel – once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business offers 2 miles per $1 on every purchase, everywhere. This is a great flat-rate on all purchases.
You have two ways to redeem your miles for travel:
1) Redeem for past travel purchases using Purchase Eraser®: This allows you to redeem your miles and receive an account credit for the cost of your travel purchase. Redemptions must be made within 90 days from the date your travel purchase posts to your account. Typically you receive your credit within two to three business days after the redemption. Terms apply. 2) Book new travel reservations: Redeem for flights, car rentals or hotel stays by paying with your miles. Simply go to capitalone.com or contact the Rewards Center to book. The number of miles needed for travel redemption varies based on cost. To find out how much a trip will cost in miles, multiply the cost of your travel purchase by 100. For example, if your travel purchase costs $500, you’d multiply that by 100 and therefore determine you need 50,000 miles to redeem. Terms apply.
You can also redeem your miles for cash in the form of a check or account credit, gift cards and more. Rates for these other redemption options vary and are subject to change without notice.
Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles – equal to $500 in travel – once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
Compare it with the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business and the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business are both travel business cards from Capital One, but they differ in annual fee, rewards, and intro period. The Capital One Spark Miles for Business has an annual fee of $0 intro for first year; $95 after that while the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has a $0 annual fee. If your business wants to avoid an annual fee, choose the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business.
Regarding the rewards program, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business offers a higher rate than the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, but keep in mind that there is an annual fee associated with the Capital One Spark Miles for Business. Therefore, the best card for you depends on your business’s spending.
Another difference is the presence of a 0% intro APR period. The Capital One Spark Miles for Business lacks an intro APR period, but the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business provides an introductory 0% intro APR for 9 months, then 13.99% - 23.99% (Variable) APR applies. This allows your business to carry a balance and not be charged interest. Here’s a breakdown of the key elements of each card.
|Capital One Spark Miles for Business||Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business|
|Annual Fee||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that||$0|
|Purchase Intro Rate||N/A||0% intro APR for 9 months|
|Balance Transfer Intro Rate||N/A||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Fee||N/A||N/A|
|Ongoing APR||20.99% (Variable)||13.99% - 23.99% (Variable)|
|Rewards||2 Miles per $1 on every purchase, everywhere||1.5 Miles per $1 on every purchase|
|Sign Up Bonus||Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles – equal to $500 in travel – once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.||One-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None||None|
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business provides a great rewards program for businesses that frequently travel and don’t mind an annual fee. You earn a great flat-rate on miles and can benefit from exclusive perks that add value for all types of businesses.