*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Nov 08, 2019. Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
If you’re someone who carries a balance month-to-month on your credit card, chances are you’re being hit with high interest charges. Unless you’re taking advantage of an intro 0% APR offer, you’ll be incurring interest charges on balances that aren’t paid in full by their due date.
Those interest charges aren’t cheap either — the average APR for all accounts that accrue interest is 16.97%, according to a CompareCards study. But, with the average APRs on all new cards and on new store cards at 20.59% and 24.97%, respectively, interest charges can make paying off a balance more difficult. To avoid high interest charges, consider using a low interest credit card. These cards can come in handy when you’re unable to pay off your balance in full.
We’ll review the best low interest cards with no or low annual fees, so you can find the best card for your needs.
In this article:
How we chose the best low interest cards
We chose cards from our partners that have low starting interest rates that you may qualify for if you have good or excellent credit. The majority of the cards on this list have no annual fee and provide additional value beyond the low starting rate. Benefits provided by some of the cards on this list include rewards, 0% intro periods, no foreign transaction fees and more.
Best overall low interest card: American Express Cash Magnet® Card – $150 Welcome Offer
Best for: If you’re looking for a low interest card that also rewards you for every purchase you make, the American Express Cash Magnet® Card – $150 Welcome Offer is a great choice. You don’t have to worry about keeping track of rewards categories since this card offers competitive flat-rate cash back – Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases.
Why we like it: Interest rates aside, this card has some great features. There is a $0 annual fee and you earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on your purchases. In addition, there are 0% intro periods that allow you to make a large purchase or transfer debt without accruing interest. Utilize the intro 0% on purchases for 15 months and intro 0% on balance transfers for 15 months if needed. After the intro periods end, a 14.49%-25.49% variable APR applies to purchases and a 14.49%-25.49% variable APR applies to balance transfers. Note, there is a balance transfer fee, either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. However, the balance transfer fee is often outweighed by the amount you save on interest. Just remember to transfer balances within the first 60 days of account opening so you don’t miss out on the intro period.
Other benefits: Cardholders can take advantage of other perks such as free two-day shipping at more than 100 online retailers with ShopRunner, exclusive access to entertainment events like concerts and plays, purchase protection, and more.
Best for ongoing low APR: USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
8.65% - 25.65% Variable
Rental Car Insurance, Price Protection, Extended Warranty & more
$0 annual fee, no penalty APR & no foreign transaction fee
Best for: If you qualify for USAA membership (active military, former military, an eligible family member, or a cadet or midshipman), you are eligible to apply for the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card and have a chance at getting an excellent ongoing APR rate. It ranges from 8.65% - 25.65% Variable — and if you’re approved for the lower end of that range, it could save you a significant amount when compared to a card with a higher APR if you carry a balance. There’s a $0 annual fee.
Other benefits: Worried about foreign transaction fees? This card charges none.
Best for balance transfers: Discover it® Balance Transfer
0% for 18 months on balance transfers & 0% for 6 months on purchases*
Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter up to the quarterly maximum, when you activate*
13.49% - 24.49% Variable*
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- No annual fee.
- See Rates & Fees
See additional details for Discover it® Balance Transfer
Best for: If you’re looking to transfer a balance from an existing non-Discover card, the Discover it® Balance Transfer provides the chance to get out of debt while earning cash back.
Why we like it: This card has a lengthy intro period for balance transfers at intro 0% for 18 months. After the intro period ends, a regular APR of 13.49% - 24.49% variable on balance transfers applies. This is a great length of time for you to pay off balances transferred from a another card without racking up interest. (Note: You can’t transfer balances from one Discover card to another.) Keep in mind there is a 3% intro balance transfer fee, up to 5% fee on future balance transfers (see terms)*, but this could easily be outweighed by the amount you save on interest during the promotion. This card also has a $0 annual fee and comes with a cashback program where you can earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate, 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
Other benefits: Discover offers 100% U.S.-based customer service available any time you call, no foreign transaction fees, fraud monitoring services and more. Also, for new cardmembers Discover will automatically match all the cash back you earn at the end of your first year.*
Best for long 0% APR: Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
0% for 12 months on Purchases
0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers
16.24% - 26.24% (Variable)
- No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee... Ever
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balances, are paid in full
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 16.24% - 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
- Stay protected with Citi® Quick Lock and $0 liability on unauthorized charges
See additional details for Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever
Best for: If you need a long period of time to pay off transferred credit card debt, the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever could be the card for you.
Why we like it: With an offer of 0% for 21 months on Balance Transfers, the Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever has the longest 0% intro APR period we could find. After the intro period ends, the balance transfer APR is 16.24% - 26.24% (variable). The card also offers 0% for 12 months on Purchases, after which the regular purchase APR is 16.24% - 26.24% (variable).
We should note that the balance transfer fee (5% of each balance transfer; $5 minimum) is a bit on the high side. However, the balance transfer fee could be worth it for the lengthy 0% intro APR period.
This card also has a $0 annual fee.
Other benefits: The Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever has no late fees or penalty rates.
Best for large purchases: Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day
0% for 15 Months on Purchases and Balance Transfers
No minimums for redeeming and cash back won't expire for the life of the account
- One-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 15.74%-25.74% variable APR after that
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 15.74%-25.74% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
- Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
See additional details for Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
Best for: If you plan on making a large purchase like a new appliance or laptop soon, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card can provide you with the ability to pay off new purchases over time with its 0% introductory APR on purchases.
Why we like it: This card comes with a great intro offer —0% intro on purchases for 15 months. After that, the regular purchase APR is 15.74% - 25.74% (Variable). It also offers 0% intro on balance transfers for 15 months, after which the balance transfer APR is 15.74% - 25.74% (Variable). There’s a balance transfer fee of 3%, which is fairly standard.
Just remember, when using a card for a big purchase, make sure to pay it off before the 0% intro period ends. After that point, any balance remaining will be subject to interest charges.
Other benefits: Earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day. There’s also a one-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
Best for rewards: Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay.
0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers
15.49% - 25.49% (Variable)
- Earn cash back twice. Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.49% – 25.49%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.49% – 25.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
See additional details for Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Best for: If you tend to carry a balance but want to earn rewards on new purchases, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer can be a good option that also encourages you to make timely payments.
Why we like it: This card has a $0 annual fee and offers a unique cashback program — earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. Instead of typical cards that give you the full amount of cash back when you make a purchase, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer requires you to both make a purchase and pay for it to earn the full cash back. This is a great incentive to pay your bills as soon as possible. But if you still carry a balance, the regular purchase APR is reasonable at 15.49% - 25.49% (variable). Take note that you can still earn the 1% cash back from purchases if you pay over time, just be sure to make at least the minimum payment each month.
Other benefits: Citi® Private Pass® provides special access to various entertainment, sports and dining events in select cities.
Best for travel: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
One-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotels when you pay with your Venture card at hotels.com/venture
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named 'The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
See additional details for Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
Best for: If you travel frequently — either in the U.S. or abroad — you can benefit from the rewards and travel benefits the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card provides.
Why we like it: This card has a foreign transaction fee of none and a flat-rate rewards program suited for all types of travelers. Earn 2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day. Also, you can earn 10 miles per dollar at hotels.com/venture when you use your card. Offer valid through Jan. 31, 2020. The rewards you earn can conveniently be redeemed as a statement credit for travel purchases, as long as you make the redemption within 90 days from when the purchase posted. While there is an annual fee — $0 intro for first year; $95 after that — you can recoup it by spending $4,750 a year (after year one).
Other benefits: Access over 900 hotels with the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection, and benefit from lost luggage reimbursement, travel accident insurance and more when you use your card. Also, there’s a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel.
Learn more: How to use a low interest card
Low interest cards can be a good asset for people who tend to carry a balance month to month and don’t want to rack up huge interest charges. Follow the tips below so you get the most value out of your low interest card.
- Don’t overspend. A good rule of thumb is don’t spend more than you can afford to pay by your statement due date. But since you’re looking for a low interest card, odds are this may not be feasible. So, try to limit spending to things you need to charge and if your card offers rewards, avoid excess spending just to earn rewards.
- Set up autopay for a set amount. If you know you can consistently make a set payment each month, like $200, set up autopay for that amount. This does three things: 1. Ensures you pay on time; 2. Makes at least your minimum due payment; and 3. Decreases your debt more than only paying the minimum due.
- Pay on time. If you decide not to set up autopay — which we strongly encourage — make sure you pay on time. Paying late can result in a cancellation of any 0% intro offers your card may offer.
- Transfer balances soon. If you’re utilizing a card with a 0% intro period for balance transfers, make sure you transfer your balance soon after opening the card. Most intro offers are only available for a short period of time, typically 60 days from the date of account opening. Refer to your cardmember agreement for the exact time you have to qualify for the 0% intro period.
- Continue to make payments on any transferred balances until the transfer posts to your account. This tip applies if you requested a balance transfer. Typical balance transfers take up to 14 days to process and in that time you may have a payment due on your old card. So, continue making payments until your transfer officially posts to your new card.