*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated May 12, 2016, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
The information related to the Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard® has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
With the Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard® from Barclays you can earn 35,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days. There is an $89 annual fee.
What are Hawaiian Miles useful for?
The best way to use these miles is if you are planning a trip to Hawaii and can fly Hawaiian Airlines to get there.
Hawaiian Airlines serves the mainland from these airports:
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
Their award availability is pretty decent, and Hawaiian has some of the most comfortable flights to Hawaii with service that’s a touch above what you’ll find on larger airlines like Delta, American, and United. Hawaiian Airlines awards can be booked as one way or roundtrip, and has 3 tiers of award prices (Super Saver, Saver, and Anytime). Prices for awards are:
- Economy Class: 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles, or 40,000 miles one way
- First Class: 40,000 miles or 80,000 miles one way
You can read our review on booking Hawaiian Airlines flights with miles here. While Hawaiian has many airline partners, you can’t mix partner airlines with Hawaiian Airlines flights on an award, and the prices for partner airline flights are pretty high. If you have American Express Membership Rewards® points you can transfer points to Hawaiian Airlines miles any time at one for one, so you can build on what you get from this bonus. The most practical thing to do though may be to use the bonus from this card for a one way trip. You can book two one ways for 20,000 miles each, and then use other points like British Airways Avios to fly another airline back from Hawaii. Doing that will give you maximum flexibility to pick and choose which points program has availability on the days you want to fly.
What else do you get?
Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard® benefits include:
- Enjoy a complimentary 1st checked bag for the primary cardmember when you use your card to purchase eligible tickets directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- Receive a one-time 50% off a companion discount on roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines
- Earn 2X miles on eligible purchases made directly from Hawaiian Airlines and 1X miles on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- $100 discount off a companion ticket each year after your account anniversary for roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines upon payment of annual fee
- Earn 5,000 annual bonus miles after spending $10,000 or more in purchases by your account anniversary
Of those benefits, the 50% off companion discount is the most valuable. If you plan to travel to Hawaii twice this year as a couple, or plan to bring your family along this plus the 50,000 miles can save you a lot on your next trip. You could use the companion discount for you and your spouse, and use the miles to offset the cost of tickets for your child.