*Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated Aug 26, 2014, but some terms and conditions may have changed or are no longer available. For the most accurate and up to date information please consult the terms and conditions found on the issuer website.
I am a big fan of Chase credit cards because they tend to offer exceptional customer service, robust rewards programs and uniquely valuable benefits and features. Those who sign up for the United℠ Explorer Card* can earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open plus $100 statement credit after your first purchase..
Additional Card Features
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, on hotel stays and on purchases from United. 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Make at least $25,000 in net purchases on your card each year, and be eligible to receive an additional 10,000 bonus miles annually.
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is in good standing and there is no limit on the number of miles you can earn.
- Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on any United-operated flight when they redeem miles at the MileagePlus Standard Award level.
- No limitations, restrictions, or blackout dates on available* seats if you provide your MileagePlus number before starting the award booking process.
*Please be aware that the operative word when it comes to booking flights is “available.” As with other credit card rewards programs tied to a particular airline, your ability to reserve the flight you want is subject to availability. With that in mind, it always pays to plan ahead and make your reservations early.
This card also comes with great travel benefits that will appeal to any frequent traveler. The primary card member and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United℠ Explorer Card.
Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. Cardholders will also receive two, one-time-use United Club passes each year, which grants access to a United Club airport lounge where you can enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and free Wi-Fi. See what else this card has to offer as a Visa Signature® credit card.
Rates and Fees
- APR for purchases and balance transfers is 17.49% - 24.49% Variable
- Cash advance APR is 26.49% Variable
- Annual fee is $0 Intro for First Year, then $95
- Balance transfer fee is Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- $0 foreign transaction fee
*The information related to the United℠ Explorer Card has been collected by CompareCards and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card. This offer and promotion may have since changed, expired, or are no longer available.